Old 29-05-2003, 03:56 PM
TheScullster

Default Will manure rot in bags?

If I leave my horsey poo in bags (to avoid stinking the place out), will it
still rot down?

Phil

Old 29-05-2003, 06:08 PM
The Devil's Advocate

As long as oxygen can get to it but there are better ways, like adding it to
the compost heap

Robert
"TheScullster" wrote in message
: If I leave my horsey poo in bags (to avoid stinking the place out), will
it
: still rot down?
:
: Phil
:
:

Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Colin Davidson

"TheScullster" wrote in message
If I leave my horsey poo in bags (to avoid stinking the place out), will

it
still rot down?

If there's a limited supply of oxygen in the bags and they're not completely
sealed, then it'll smell even worse. Surely composting it properly is a
better, less smelly option?

Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Colin Davidson" writes:

| "TheScullster" wrote in message
| If I leave my horsey poo in bags (to avoid stinking the place out), will
| it
| still rot down?
|
| If there's a limited supply of oxygen in the bags and they're not completely
| sealed, then it'll smell even worse. Surely composting it properly is a
| better, less smelly option?

However, it will compost perfectly well in the bags if holes are
punched in them, and to some extent even if not. I agree with
you that it is likely to smell less if done in the open.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Colin Davidson

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

However, it will compost perfectly well in the bags if holes are
punched in them, and to some extent even if not. I agree with
you that it is likely to smell less if done in the open.

Anaerobic digestion of the sewage is going to be messy, though, it'll get
moist and rancid smelling fast. Anaerobic digestion of faecal waste is an
area of microbiology inhabited mostly by massochists. Punchng lots of holes
in the bag sounds like a reasonable option, though.

Tea bags that rot down in compost Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 53 29-09-2010 06:35 PM
home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons Tim B Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM