Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Garden Vacs, are they any good?

I want to get one for hoovering up grass clippings - does anyone here use one
for that? Are the petrol or electric ones better?

Thankyou so much
Lorraine
Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 PM
John Towill

--
"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I want to get one for hoovering up grass clippings - does anyone here use

one
for that? Are the petrol or electric ones better?

Thankyou so much
Lorraine

I find them pretty useless, the exception being getting leaves from around
and under plants. However the better ones are also blowers, those are very
useful for collecting leaves into piles to make "harvesting" them easy.
As regard to picking up grass I reckon that a skrake will be both easier and
quicker.
Cheers
John T.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Thank you John - You've saved me a hundred quid )

I would use a rake but the area is very large and its backbreaking work.

Anyone else had an experience with a garden vac - good or bad?

Thanks - Lorriane
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
jane

~
~I would use a rake but the area is very large and its backbreaking work.
~
~Anyone else had an experience with a garden vac - good or bad?
~
My experience is good. I test drove one for free last year after a friend
went to the US and didn't need it any more. My house is overlooked by
several mature sycamores, which cover half the front garden and make
gardening a challenge due to the amount of water their roots take up. And
then there's the leaves...
Every year I've spent backbreaking weeks picking the things out of the
rockery so as not to rot my alpines, and at times have waded through ankle
deep wet leaves to get to the front door.

The vac was a blessing. Despite the fact it's a bulky pain to store, the
ease of keeping the path clean was more than a payment. More so, it reduced
the leafmould bulk to a fraction of the 8-9 binliners previously collected,
and it should take less time for them to rot, too (and sycamores take
years). Vacuuming the leaves also vacuumed the seeds, which usually slipped
through when hand-collecting. And if you've ever had hundreds of
germinating sycamores to pull up you'll know how quickly they put down a
massive taproot and put up a fight!

When the brushes burned out on the motor and the thing died halfway through
December, I *had* to get a replacement. I'm glad I got to try it for free
though!

Whether you would reap any benefit depends: you say you want to hoover
grass, in which case I'd say it's better to get a rake as grass is already
shredded. If you would also be using it for leaves, you'd pass in my
opinion into the use where they are worth it. But just grass? Probably not.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

As regard to picking up grass I reckon that a skrake will be both easier and
quicker.

What's a scrake? My old lawnrake is losing its teeth and needs replacing.

Janet.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 PM
John Towill

--
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

As regard to picking up grass I reckon that a skrake will be both easier

and
quicker.

What's a scrake? My old lawnrake is losing its teeth and needs

replacing.

Janet.

Well if you don't know Janet then I guess there is no such thing. My father
always called a lawn rake a "scrake", however I guess it must be just a
nickname as I can't find it in the dictionary! Sorry if I got you all
excited Janet. :-)
Cheers
John T

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

--
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

As regard to picking up grass I reckon that a skrake will be both easier

and
quicker.

What's a scrake? My old lawnrake is losing its teeth and needs

replacing.

Janet.

Well if you don't know Janet then I guess there is no such thing. My father
always called a lawn rake a "scrake", however I guess it must be just a
nickname as I can't find it in the dictionary! Sorry if I got you all
excited Janet. :-)

Oh dear:-(
How sad can I be, getting all excited about a new skrake.

Janet

Pond vacs mack Ponds 4 21-05-2005 03:08 PM
Recommendations on older Troy-built and Crafstmen ChipperVacs andlawn vacs USENET READER Lawns 2 23-12-2004 11:39 PM
pond vacs W Dale Ponds 6 04-10-2004 11:19 PM
Garden Vacs K United Kingdom 4 31-08-2003 12:02 PM
Do Garden Vacs Work? Rhombus United Kingdom 1 30-10-2002 08:20 AM