Old 29-08-2003, 03:13 PM

Default Garden Vacs

We've just laid some slate chippings in our front garden and I am
contemplating getting a vac when the leaves fall. Will it suck up the
chippings? They are of different sizes but larger than granite type
chippings. If a vac would cope, can anyone suggest a good one for a small
garden.

Old 29-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message
We've just laid some slate chippings in our front garden and I am
contemplating getting a vac when the leaves fall. Will it suck up the
chippings? They are of different sizes but larger than granite type
chippings. If a vac would cope, can anyone suggest a good one for a small
garden.

I used to have one, but I got rid of it. I found that I spent more time
emptying the bag than actually getting leaves up.

However, I doubt if you would have trouble with chippings.

Franz

Old 29-08-2003, 08:32 PM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

I would suggest a Garden Vac/Blower.

I reckon larger slate chippings would be too heavy to be "sucked up " by the
vacuum, but smaller pieces of slate maybe, and could damage the tool, and as
Franz says you will spend more time emptying the bag than collecting the
leaves. The better option would be to blow the dropped leaves to one corner
of the garden then collect them up manually. Through the summer months I
usually blow all the garden debris to one location then switch to vacuum to
collect the debris in the bag. You'll find the quantity of leaves in the
autumn a little too much for most garden vacs to cope with ( especially if
the leaves are wet ).

Jeff

Old 31-08-2003, 11:04 AM

"K" wrote in message
: We've just laid some slate chippings in our front garden and I am
: contemplating getting a vac when the leaves fall. Will it suck up the
: chippings? They are of different sizes but larger than granite type
: chippings. If a vac would cope, can anyone suggest a good one for a small
: garden.
:
: K
:
Thanks Franz and Jeff for your comments - I'll have to give it some thought
before I shell out.

Old 31-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Simon Avery

"K" wrote:

Hello K

K We've just laid some slate chippings in our front garden and
K I am contemplating getting a vac when the leaves fall. Will
K it suck up the chippings? They are of different sizes but
K larger than granite type chippings. If a vac would cope,
K can anyone suggest a good one for a small garden.

With all of them, holding them higher means it doesn't pick up so much
so you can play around with heights to get the ideal for the
situation.

But TBH, I prefer blowers - but each to their own.

Pond vacs mack Ponds 4 21-05-2005 03:08 PM
Recommendations on older Troy-built and Crafstmen ChipperVacs andlawn vacs USENET READER Lawns 2 23-12-2004 11:39 PM
pond vacs W Dale Ponds 6 04-10-2004 11:19 PM
Garden Vacs, are they any good? GoldDustRhiannon United Kingdom 6 03-06-2003 12:32 AM
Do Garden Vacs Work? Rhombus United Kingdom 1 30-10-2002 08:20 AM