Old 30-05-2003, 11:20 PM
phil thompson

Default Citrus

Anybody got any tips / suggestions for growing
1 Oranges
2 Limes
3 Lemons

Many thanks
Phil

Old 31-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
phil thompson wrote:
Anybody got any tips / suggestions for growing
1 Oranges
2 Limes
3 Lemons

Well drained, not alkaline compost. Kept outside in the summer,
protected from hard frosts and continual wet in the winter. And
don't let them dry out entirely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
billtheburglar

"phil thompson" wrote in message ...
Anybody got any tips / suggestions for growing
1 Oranges
2 Limes
3 Lemons

Many thanks
Phil

Having tried quite a few (and only killed one of them) I find 2 sorts
outstandingly reliable. These are calamondin orange xcitrofortunella
microcarpa and chinotto orange citrus myrtifolia. Both produce small
oranges. Chinotto is a sport of bitter orange and makes excellent
marmalade. calamondins sadly are to bitter to enjoy raw but not bitter
enough for marmalade
Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"phil wrote in message
Anybody got any tips / suggestions for growing
1 Oranges
2 Limes
3 Lemons

We have all three..
Oranges...fruit are only ever small and we have yet to get one that is nice
to eat.
Limes... We have a Tahiti Lime and it produces good usable fruit every year
Lemons... This is the most untidy of our citrus trees but produces the best,
most juicy, fruit, wonderful to pick and slice your own Lemon for a G & T.
:-)

All citrus prefer a slightly acid soil and Lemons demand it, although they
also require a bit of calcium too. I use Ericaceous compost with a bit of
bark chips added (used in Orchid compost) to improve drainage, this then
allows me to water with our hard tap water, if I run out of rain water,
without the compost becoming too alkaline.
They should be fed throughout the year and there are some specific feeds
that are made for summer or winter feeding. Flush through with plain water
between feeds.
A dose of sequestered iron in the spring helps too.
Always let the water drain through the compost and away, never use a water
tray underneath as wet roots will be the death of any citrus. However, don't
let them dry out completely either, even in winter, when then should be much
dryer.
Let them spend the summer outside near a S. facing wall but bring them
inside before the frosts and overwinter them in a cool frost free place (min
45°F) with as much light as possible.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
citrus help Tazman Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Container citrus: lot's fruit, not many leaves richard holmes Gardening 0 11-03-2003 11:56 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM