Old 31-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Paul Bonner

Default potatoes

My potatoes are now 3ft 6 in high.
They are strong, lush and dark green. I am worried that they are going to
turn out all top and no tubers.
What fertiliser should I use to encourage Tubers and less green.?
The ground that they are on has had several bonfires on it and there for is
rich in ash

Help please and thanks.
Paul

Old 01-06-2003, 12:08 AM
andrewpreece

Dunno about your particular problem but I read that ash should
not be used with potatoes as it encourages scab.

Andy

Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul Bonner
writes
My potatoes are now 3ft 6 in high.
They are strong, lush and dark green. I am worried that they are going to
turn out all top and no tubers.
What fertiliser should I use to encourage Tubers and less green.?
The ground that they are on has had several bonfires on it and there for is
rich in ash

Help please and thanks.

3ft.6in. high already! How many times have you earthed them up - i.e.
ridged them ? Each time they are earthed up, they develop a new group of
tubers just below the top of the ridge and the energy of the plant goes
into developing those rather than into stems and leaves etc.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Are they being drawn up to the light because they're shaded in some way? If
so there's nothing much you can do about that

Paul Bonner wrote:
: My potatoes are now 3ft 6 in high.
: They are strong, lush and dark green. I am worried that they are
: going to turn out all top and no tubers.
: What fertiliser should I use to encourage Tubers and less green.?
: The ground that they are on has had several bonfires on it and there
: for is rich in ash
:
: Help please and thanks.
: Paul

Robert

Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hill

sounds as if you have been giving a High Nitrogen feed,
potatoes not high Potash feed

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Make it light on the nitrogen.......I use a 5 10 10 which seems to do the
trick...........very often it is the overuse and not the specific ratio so
much.........Harold w.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 AM
David Hill

Oh boy I really am sending some "Fluffs"
"..........potatoes not high Potash feed........"

should have read

Potatoes need high Potash feed

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
Oh boy I really am sending some "Fluffs"
"..........potatoes not high Potash feed........"

should have read

Potatoes need high Potash feed

Why high potash? I thought that was for flower development? Does it also
aid root development?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: