Old 31-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Scully

Default Wallflowers

Hi there,

Last autumn I planted wallflowers for the first time & they put on a great
late spring show but they're on their way out now. Are wallflowers annuals?
Do I just rip them off now or is it worth leaving them for another season?

Many thanks

Old 31-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Zizz

"Scully" wrote in message
Hi there,

Last autumn I planted wallflowers for the first time & they put on a great
late spring show but they're on their way out now. Are wallflowers

annuals?
Do I just rip them off now or is it worth leaving them for another season?

Many thanks

Wallflowers are really perennials but are treated as annuals as they get
leggy and aren't as good in their first flowering.
HTH

Old 31-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Zizz
writes

"Scully" wrote in message
Hi there,

Last autumn I planted wallflowers for the first time & they put on a great
late spring show but they're on their way out now. Are wallflowers

annuals?
Do I just rip them off now or is it worth leaving them for another season?

Many thanks

Wallflowers are really perennials but are treated as annuals as they get
leggy and aren't as good in their first flowering.

But if you trim them back now to a sideshoot fairly low down on the
stem, they will not be as leggy, and will come back well next year. I
can't be bothered with re-sowing every year, and my current crop of
wallflowers are at least 5 years old.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 31 May 2003 23:39:14 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Zizz
writes

"Scully" wrote in message
Hi there,

Last autumn I planted wallflowers for the first time & they put on a great
late spring show but they're on their way out now. Are wallflowers

annuals?
Do I just rip them off now or is it worth leaving them for another season?

Many thanks

Wallflowers are really perennials but are treated as annuals as they get
leggy and aren't as good in their first flowering.

But if you trim them back now to a sideshoot fairly low down on the
stem, they will not be as leggy, and will come back well next year. I
can't be bothered with re-sowing every year, and my current crop of
wallflowers are at least 5 years old.

That sounds like a good plan for wallflowers especially as I have only
just discovered (RHS) that, like roses, you shouldn't plant wallflowers
where there were wallflowers before.

I have one or two with particularly nice colouring and will have a go at
taking some softwood cuttings of these (probably round about now would be a
good idea - I can see plenty of new side shoots emerging as the flowering
stems die and dry).

Hussein

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.