Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Bill Brewer

Default Fritillaria assyriaca

I have found the recent postings regarding the snakeshead fritillaries most
interesting. I grow Fritillaria meleagris, the very different F. messanensis
and F. assyrica. I originally bought ten bulbs of assyrica in December 2000
and have kept them potted up in my greenhouse ever since. Yesterday I
thought it was time to re-pot them and on knocking them out, I was amazed to
find that apart from the original ten bulbs, I now have 105 extra of varying
sizes. I understand that F. assyrica and the Turkish F. michailovskyi do
multiply more rapidly than meleagris but surely 105 extra bulbs in just two
and a half years is a pretty good return for my money. Fritillaria assyriaca
obviously makes up for not seeding so readily as some other fritillaria by
producing lots of bulblets.

Bill Brewer

Old 03-06-2003, 05:32 PM
IntarsiaCo

. I originally bought ten bulbs of assyrica in December 2000

Much of the F. assyriaca available is actually F. uva-vulpis, you might want to
check the identification of your plants.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 03 Jun 2003 16:25:44 GMT, IntarsiaCo wrote:

. I originally bought ten bulbs of assyrica in December 2000

Much of the F. assyriaca available is actually F. uva-vulpis, you might want to
check the identification of your plants.

In fall 2001, the colored box cards for F. uva-vulpis read
"uva-vulips". I thought that would make a good name for a female
character in a novel, Uva Vulips. She grows mandrakes, deadly
nightshade, Aconitum ferox, Carolina jasmine, and jimson weed in
her choice, but deadly, cottage garden...

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 04-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Bill Brewer

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in a message

Much of the F. assyriaca available is actually F. uva-vulpis, you might

want to
check the identification of your plants.

--------------------
F. assyriaca and F. uva-vulpis *are* the same, I prefer to use assyriaca to
uva-vulpis which always sounds to me slightly de trop! However, I *do* like
the sound of "Uva Vulips" and her deadly choice of garden plants. It's a
shame we couldn't meet up sometime, she'd just love my now flowering Arum
dioscoridis!

Bill Brewer
Kettering - Northamptonshire - UK.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:44 AM
IntarsiaCo

F. assyriaca and F. uva-vulpis *are* the same,

According to IPNI, they are not the same species and are not synonyms.

Old 04-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Thes

IntarsiaCo wrote:
. I originally bought ten bulbs of assyrica in December 2000

Much of the F. assyriaca available is actually F. uva-vulpis, you might want to
check the identification of your plants.

That reminds, I must go beat up that trader who sold me 100 F. meleagris
which turned out to be F. uva-vulpis when they came up this year. AND
the "Galanthus nivalis" were some non-descript scilla type thing, too.

Last time I go to Columbia Road markets...

Thes

Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:49:41 +0100, Bill Brewer wrote:

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in a message

Much of the F. assyriaca available is actually F. uva-vulpis, you might

want to
check the identification of your plants.

--------------------
F. assyriaca and F. uva-vulpis *are* the same, I prefer to use assyriaca to
uva-vulpis which always sounds to me slightly de trop! However, I *do* like
the sound of "Uva Vulips" and her deadly choice of garden plants. It's a
shame we couldn't meet up sometime, she'd just love my now flowering Arum
dioscoridis!

Maybe our fictional Uva Vulips sends bouquets of arum dioscoridis
to her friends when in hospital?

Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Hussein M.

On 04 Jun 2003 10:33:23 GMT, (IntarsiaCo) wrote:

F. assyriaca and F. uva-vulpis *are* the same,

According to IPNI, they are not the same species and are not synonyms.

Hi,

Paul Christian of "Rare Plants" says this as their caption for
Fritillaria assyriaca melanthera
http://www.rareplants.co.uk/fritilla/index.htm
"OS 764 This is the true species and NOT F. assyriaca of horticulture
(which is F.*uva-vulpis). *Slender stems with narrow, silvery leaves and
1-4 reflexed flowers covered with grape-like ‘bloom’. *Internally these are
green-yellow with very unusual black anthers. *Happy outside in a raised
sunny bed and a remarkably different species."

Respect

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.