Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Gary Livingstone

Default cacti need help

Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit and just
stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit crude but you
get the picture thanks in advance

---

Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Annabel

"Gary Livingstone" wrote in message
Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit and

just
stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit crude

but you
get the picture thanks in advance

Crudely, usually yes but allow the cut surface to dry off somewhat
before inserting into the compost.

Bel

Old 04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
JennyC

"Gary Livingstone" wrote in message
Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit

and just
stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit crude

but you
get the picture thanks in advance

You can easily take 'cuttings'. More detailed info at the following
sites:

http://www.plantideas.com/cacti/cat9.html
http://www.succulent-plant.com/propagation.html

Jenny

Old 04-06-2003, 10:20 PM
ned

Gary Livingstone wrote:
Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit

and
just stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit
crude but you get the picture thanks in advance

Generally, yes .......... provided
that the donor plant is mature and not too 'lush'.
Some species are easier than others and some are plum difficult.
The donor plant will be scarred, so it's not going to win any (more)
prizes.
But some growers keep some such plants purely as a source for
propagation.

--
ned

Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Gary Livingstone
writes
Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit and just
stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit crude but you
get the picture thanks in advance

Depends on the species. If it looks like bits are designed to break off
then you stand a good chance. Most cacti cuttings will root if you treat
them right. "Right" can be somewhat counter intuitive for desert plants
though.

Many desert plants will easily rot if you pot them up immediately.
Better to leave them to heal under the staging for a couple of days
before putting them near soil. Very gritty compost works best for
rooting.

Really tricky species may be suspended above the soil surface.

--
Martin Brown

Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Rick McGreal

"Gary Livingstone" wrote in
:

Hi can anybody help I have a wee question can you break off a bit and
just stick in a pot and will this root and grow sorry that is a bit
crude but you get the picture thanks in advance

Do you know what kind of cacti it is?

Which bit were you thinking of breaking off?

cacti need help Gary Livingstone United Kingdom 6 05-06-2003 03:20 PM
The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
cacti iona Gardening 3 14-03-2003 12:56 AM
Cacti Shadow Gardening 12 09-03-2003 04:08 AM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM