Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Annabel

Default Bamboo (Alphons Kerrii) hardines

Can anyone please tell me if the bamboo "Alphonse Kerrii" might have a
hardiness problem, I'm in Kent.

Annabel

Old 05-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Adam Davis

Just had a quick search on Google and found this link
http://newsstand.pavilion.net/users/jtilley/cat.htm

Quote "Tender Clumping bamboo from tropical or sub-tropical Asia. Will not
tolerate prolonged exposure to temperatures below 5șC. Plant in humus rich
soil. Site in full sun or dappled shade in humid, warm and damp conditions"

So, it depends on your local climate, but I would say that it would struggle
and would fail in anything worse than a moderate winter.

Shame really, as the description sounds lovely.

Adam

Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Annabel

"Adam Davis" wrote in message
Just had a quick search on Google and found this link
http://newsstand.pavilion.net/users/jtilley/cat.htm

Quote "Tender Clumping bamboo from tropical or sub-tropical Asia. Will

not
tolerate prolonged exposure to temperatures below 5șC. Plant in humus

rich
soil. Site in full sun or dappled shade in humid, warm and damp

conditions"

So, it depends on your local climate, but I would say that it would

struggle
and would fail in anything worse than a moderate winter.

Shame really, as the description sounds lovely.

Adam

I thought something might be wrong with the one I bought last year so
that explains it. After I have been on record as complaining about TV
progs and garden centers promoting unsuitable plants its a bit silly of
me.

Annabel

"Annabel" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me if the bamboo "Alphonse Kerrii" might have

hardiness problem, I'm in Kent.

Annabel

News==----
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption =---

Old 22-06-2003, 03:09 AM
bnd777

Can you not pot it up and put it in a conservatory ?
Or if you dont have one I will do a swap for some of my 2 Bamboos that are
definitely hardy

Old 22-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Annabel

"bnd777" wrote in message
Can you not pot it up and put it in a conservatory ?
Or if you dont have one I will do a swap for some of my 2 Bamboos that

are
definitely hardy

I would like to swap with you, I have already tried to contact you. I
have also started a new thread to you "Attn bnd777".

Annabel

Old 22-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Richard Carter

Suffolk seems to have a tolerable climate - gardens just 1/2 mile
from me have an abundance of it at least eight feet high. Not sure
what type though. www.shrublandpark.co.uk

Regards etc,
Richard Carter

========================
Richard Carter

"Annabel" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me if the bamboo "Alphonse Kerrii"

might have
hardiness problem, I'm in Kent.

Annabel

Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!
100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy

via
Encryption =---

Hoya kerrii - closeup Wendy7 Garden Photos 4 11-07-2008 04:42 AM
Hoya kerrii Wendy7 Garden Photos 5 10-07-2008 07:11 PM
Bamboo (Alphons Kerrii) hardines Annabel United Kingdom 0 04-06-2003 11:44 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM
hardines zones tim United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:06 AM