Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Joan

Default Bulb-Planting Baskets

I've just dug up and stored a zillion spring bulbs, as I needed to dig out
and replenish the soil.

I always forget where I've planted the bulbs and usually end up slicing them
in half, so next year I want to use those plastic baskets that you put the
bulbs into and plant the lot out.

Does anyone know where I can source a cheap supply of these baskets in the
Bolton area? I've done a Google search and can't find much.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, using these baskets?

Thanks.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Stephen WILLIAMS

Joan,
I use the baskets that you get for the pond plants. I get them in different
shapes and sizes which allows me to vary the positioning, rather than just
have the square ones.
They are not "cheap" but I have used them for over 5 years now and haven't
had one breakage.
Put them in the ground so that the rim is just above the surface, makes it
easy to find and soon disappears under the leaves. When you take them up,
about 3 weeks after flowering, make sure that you water and feed them until
the leaves have turned yellow and died down. Then the best part forget
about them until the autumn when you replant them and give the soil some
organic matter and feet for the roots to go out into.

So far this has worked perfectly for me on daffodils, tulips, scilla and
dwarf iris.

Best of luck
Steve
news

Old 06-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Stephen WILLIAMS

In my earlier reply replace "feet" with "feed"
DOH!

"Stephen WILLIAMS" wrote in
message ...
[...]

news