Old 16-03-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default planting tomotoes in hanging baskets

Can someone give me some advice on planting tomotoes in hanging
baskets. I'm growing some tumbling tom seeds and once they have grown
to a big enough size and frosts have gone etc I want to plant them up
into hanging baskets.

So

What sort of hanging basket should I use , what should I line it with
paper, moss, coir ?

How many plants to a hanging baskets ?

Do I plant them through the side or in the top ?

I'm also growing Marigolds , should I put some of these in with the
toms ?

Are there any other companion plants that would be good with these toms
in the baskets ?

Cheers

Colin

Old 16-03-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Sacha wrote:

We tried growing Lobelia with them one year, just for the colour effect but
found that one took too much from the other, so now plant the tomatoes on
their own. I think you could try some of the small leaved Basil though.
Basil is said to help repel flies but I don't know if it works on other
pests. However, the combination is idea. When picking your toms, you pick
the Basil to go with them! Now if you could just start keeping water
buffalo, you'd have the mozarella, too!

Yeah, but you'd need a *huge* hanging basket.

James
Old 16-03-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/3/06 16:04, in article , "James
Fidell" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

We tried growing Lobelia with them one year, just for the colour effect but
found that one took too much from the other, so now plant the tomatoes on
their own. I think you could try some of the small leaved Basil though.
Basil is said to help repel flies but I don't know if it works on other
pests. However, the combination is idea. When picking your toms, you pick
the Basil to go with them! Now if you could just start keeping water
buffalo, you'd have the mozarella, too!

Yeah, but you'd need a *huge* hanging basket.

Free manure for the toms, though. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-03-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill

Some of my most successful toms last year were sideshoots from greenhouse
plants rooted and grown on in hanging baskets

What sort of hanging basket should I use , what should I line it with
paper, moss, coir ?

............... well mine had newspaper lining, but it wasn't intended for
show

How many plants to a hanging baskets ?

................ only one

Do I plant them through the side or in the top ?

........... top

I'm also growing Marigolds , should I put some of these in with the
toms ?

............... ner, too much competition

and a little plastic spike thingy on a fizzy pop bottle to keep it well
watered

Planting hanging baskets now rbel[_2_] United Kingdom 8 05-08-2011 10:02 AM
Tomotoes farida United Kingdom 1 14-04-2010 09:26 PM
when to pick two out of eight tomotoes JWH United Kingdom 6 23-08-2006 08:51 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:55 PM
Tomotoes Brad Harris United Kingdom 6 03-12-2002 08:13 PM