Old 07-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Rachel de Thame and national collections

In article , JennyC
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Is this TV dumbing down and protecting its viewers from difficult

words
like 'genus' which they don't understand?
It surely can't be Rachel de T herself who doesn't understand the
difference?

This sort of thing does get me cross!
Kay Easton

And she obviously does not read URG - she's still wearing the bloody
cardigan round the bum.........

She's heard that big bums are fashionable and is trying to draw
attention to it ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article 1fw6ng1.i14xsj1od8fpyN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
The danger of common epithets!-)

Eg bluebells are not always bluebells;-)

Not that the botanical names are reliably stable: half the Lavatera's
are now Malvas (and some Malvas may be Lavateras, and one Lavatera may
be neither); some Althaeas may be Malvas; and there's a big
restructuring of Hibiscus in the offing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
JennyC

"Kay Easton" wrote
JennyC writes
"Kay Easton" wrote

And she obviously does not read URG - she's still wearing the

bloody
cardigan round the bum.........

She's heard that big bums are fashionable and is trying to draw
attention to it ;-)
Kay Easton

Gosh - I shall be fashionable at last :~)
Jenny

Old 07-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Mary Fisher

In article 1fw6ng1.i14xsj1od8fpyN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
The danger of common epithets!-)

Eg bluebells are not always bluebells;-)

Not that the botanical names are reliably stable: half the Lavatera's
are now Malvas (and some Malvas may be Lavateras, and one Lavatera may
be neither); some Althaeas may be Malvas; and there's a big
restructuring of Hibiscus in the offing.

I'm glad I grow vegetables!

Mary
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 07-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article 1fw6ng1.i14xsj1od8fpyN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
The danger of common epithets!-)

Eg bluebells are not always bluebells;-)

Not that the botanical names are reliably stable: half the Lavatera's
are now Malvas (and some Malvas may be Lavateras, and one Lavatera may
be neither); some Althaeas may be Malvas; and there's a big
restructuring of Hibiscus in the offing.

That's a result of the fact that the names actually mean something - if
your knowledge increases so you realise one member of the tree is
actually more closely related elsewhere, you have to change the names to
reflect this.

You could keep flower names nice and stable if they were just names, and
not shorthand for other information.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Not that the botanical names are reliably stable: half the Lavatera's
are now Malvas (and some Malvas may be Lavateras, and one Lavatera may
be neither); some Althaeas may be Malvas; and there's a big
restructuring of Hibiscus in the offing.

I'm glad I grow vegetables!

You can't escape :-) Tomatoes (Lycopersicon) and tamarillos
(Cyphamandra) have been reclassified back in Solanum, and I understand
the generic limits in Brassicaceae are unclear.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Helen

There are more important things in life to get heated up about than
whether Rachel De Thame said 'species' instead of 'type'....or even
'geno-type'.
I like her. I think the newly revamped Gardener's World with Monty Don
is good. Anyway, he became a hero of mine after I read an article of
his about apples and apple trees in one of the colour magazines. He
has his heart in it and I believe Rachel De Thame does too.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Not that the botanical names are reliably stable: half the Lavatera's
are now Malvas (and some Malvas may be Lavateras, and one Lavatera may
be neither); some Althaeas may be Malvas; and there's a big
restructuring of Hibiscus in the offing.

I'm glad I grow vegetables!

You can't escape :-) Tomatoes (Lycopersicon) and tamarillos
(Cyphamandra) have been reclassified back in Solanum, and I understand
the generic limits in Brassicaceae are unclear.

wwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ........... !!!!!!!!!

I'll stick to tomatoes (tamarillos???), cabbges, broccoli and sprouts thank
you!

Mary
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 07-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Mary Fisher

"Helen" wrote in message
m...
There are more important things in life to get heated up about than
whether Rachel De Thame said 'species' instead of 'type'....or even
'geno-type'.
I like her. I think the newly revamped Gardener's World with Monty Don
is good. Anyway, he became a hero of mine after I read an article of
his about apples and apple trees in one of the colour magazines. He
has his heart in it and I believe Rachel De Thame does too.

I'm assuming that this woman is on television - which we don't have.

Nevertheless, if she's featuring as an expert she ought to get things right.
Entertainment isn't as important as accuracy ... I get cross about GQT when
some of the team seem to be more concerned about raising a laugh than
transmitting sound information.

I agree absolutely with Kay.

Mary

Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message
TV tonight - Rachel de Thame
'a national Collection is a collection of a single *species*' ... then
almost in the same breath 'the National collection of Crocus' ... so all
crocus are the same species, are they?

Is this TV dumbing down and protecting its viewers from difficult words
like 'genus' which they don't understand?
It surely can't be Rachel de T herself who doesn't understand the
difference?

This sort of thing does get me cross!
--

Accepting that Rachel does know what she is on about, and she's done the
course, it may well have been a slip of the tongue. Unfortunately the

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message
TV tonight - Rachel de Thame
'a national Collection is a collection of a single *species*' ... then
almost in the same breath 'the National collection of Crocus' ... so all
crocus are the same species, are they?

Is this TV dumbing down and protecting its viewers from difficult words
like 'genus' which they don't understand?
It surely can't be Rachel de T herself who doesn't understand the
difference?

This sort of thing does get me cross!
--

Accepting that Rachel does know what she is on about, and she's done the
course, it may well have been a slip of the tongue. Unfortunately the
production crew probably don't have her knowledge to know, and correct it,
with a retake.

It was repeated a few times! I suspect it was in the script.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-06-2003, 08:20 AM
David Hill

I would think that to most people
"I have a collection of species Crocus"
"I have a collection of Crocus species"
would have the same meaning

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I would think that to most people
"I have a collection of species Crocus"
"I have a collection of Crocus species"
would have the same meaning

Yes - and that is fine. But what was in the programme was the suggestion
that Crocus itself was *a* species - in other words 'I have a collection
of Crocus species' would be meaningless because there is only one
species - Crocus. Anything else were merely varieties. That's what got
me cross.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Rod

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
It was repeated a few times! I suspect it was in the script.
--
Kay Easton

Sloppy editing - but why don't the presenters check their own scripts?

Rod