Old 07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Sam

Default clematis problems

I planted 2 clematis back in early April. They are 2 differnt
varieties, but I can't find the labels at the oment so i can't say
what they are - sorry. Both did really well initially, putting out
lots of growth and climbing well. Then one stopped growing and showed
some yellowing on the lower leaves, while the other thrived and has
about doubled in height. This one has now also stopped growing and is
beginning to show yellow leaves. Any ideas?

Sam
Old 07-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Drakanthus

I planted 2 clematis back in early April. They are 2 differnt
varieties, but I can't find the labels at the oment so i can't say
what they are - sorry. Both did really well initially, putting out
lots of growth and climbing well. Then one stopped growing and showed
some yellowing on the lower leaves, while the other thrived and has
about doubled in height. This one has now also stopped growing and is
beginning to show yellow leaves. Any ideas?

Sam

Clematis like to have cool roots. Are they in a position where they are
getting too hot?
Are you watering them enough or too much?
Have you fed them? I give mine Miracle-Grow now and then - they seem to like
it.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 07-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Sam

Having discussed this witha neightbour today, I think they might not
have had enough water. I have been watering them, but she pointed out
they are by a hedge and the competition may betoo much. I'm going to
try watering them a bit more and will try feeding them as well. I dod
put a good supply of organic feed in when I planted them, but could
probably do with some more now.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:20 AM
bnd777

I would be sure to move them in the autumn to a more suitable position
No matter how much you feed them or water them the hedge will take most of
the attention
Clematis do better without the competition of other hungry feeders

Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul England

"Sam" wrote in message
I planted 2 clematis back in early April. They are 2 differnt
varieties, but I can't find the labels at the oment so i can't say
what they are - sorry. Both did really well initially, putting out
lots of growth and climbing well. Then one stopped growing and showed
some yellowing on the lower leaves, while the other thrived and has
about doubled in height. This one has now also stopped growing and is
beginning to show yellow leaves. Any ideas?

Sam

One of my clematis (Viviene Pennel) produces 2 flushes of flowers - doubles
followed by singles later in the season. It produced a dozen flowers, now
the whole plant seems to be dying. All the other clematis are doing fine -
it's a mystery.

Paul