Old 09-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Oliver Keating

Default Annoying Tree

Ok, I live in London, and I have a small garden, with one enourmous tree in
it which blocks off 50% of the sunlight.

I was wondering what I can do about it, I have spoken to the neigbours, they
are quite happy for me to do something as it might improve their light too,
but where do you begin? Can you just chop off a few branches? Or does one
have to get a proper tree surgeon in?

And if so how do I find a good one? Any recommendations (Hammersmith)?

Old 09-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Victoria Clare

"Oliver Keating" wrote in
:

Ok, I live in London, and I have a small garden, with one enourmous
tree in it which blocks off 50% of the sunlight.

I was wondering what I can do about it, I have spoken to the
neigbours, they are quite happy for me to do something as it might
improve their light too, but where do you begin? Can you just chop off
a few branches? Or does one have to get a proper tree surgeon in?

And if so how do I find a good one? Any recommendations (Hammersmith)?

Any idea what sort of tree it is? Some take to pruning better than others,
though this isn't usually considered the best time of year for it.

Whether to get a tree surgeon in depends on what tools you have or can get,
how big the tree is, and how likely it is that you will saw your legs off
or drop a branch through someone's roof if you try to DIY, and your budget.

If the tree overhangs a bunch of other small gardens and houses, it may
well be worth getting a pro in, because you don't want to brain a neighbour
as you prune.

Victoria

Old 09-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"Oliver Keating" wrote in message
Ok, I live in London, and I have a small garden, with one enourmous tree

in
it which blocks off 50% of the sunlight.

I was wondering what I can do about it, I have spoken to the neigbours,

they
are quite happy for me to do something as it might improve their light

too,
but where do you begin? Can you just chop off a few branches? Or does one
have to get a proper tree surgeon in?

And if so how do I find a good one? Any recommendations (Hammersmith)?

Almost certainly the tree will be covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)
which means you are not allowed to do anything at all to the tree without
the prior approval of the local authority.

All is not lost however, depanding on the type/state/position of the tree
the LA may allow removal but would almost cetainly allow lifting and
thinning of the crown. If it really is enormous, then you WILL need a tree
surgeon. the LA will have a list of competent surgeons in your area.

pk