Old 10-06-2003, 02:32 PM
welshuser

Default Grow Bag Cultivation

I am out of space in my vegetable patch and I have courgette and lettice
plants to go in. Can these be successfully grown outdoors in grow bags??

Also, any links to sites that contains a list of veg I can plant in grow
bags?

thanks..

Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Drakanthus

I am out of space in my vegetable patch and I have courgette and lettice
plants to go in. Can these be successfully grown outdoors in grow bags??

Also, any links to sites that contains a list of veg I can plant in grow
bags?

thanks..

I run out of space every year on my veg plot so am trying growing veg in
large tubs on the yard / patio.
I'm a bit dubious about grow bags for several reasons:
1) They don't seem to hold much compost and plants like courgettes are very
thirsty plants - I suspect they would dry the compost out too quicky and
suffer.
2) They can't be moved very easily without disturbing the root systems or
tearing the bags.
3) You need to buy new ones every year.

However, Wickes builders merchants sell large black "Tough Tubs", which hold
nearly 70 litres at £5.99 each. I've bought a number of these, and drilled
lots of small holes in the bottom and filled them with soil, old
multipurpose compost, garden compost - whatever was available. The tubs
should last for a number of years.
They are moveable and don't dry out quickly in hot weather.

Courgettes seem to like the tubs - one per tub. (I've got 5 tubs of these).

Rhubarb is doing better than in the garden - presumably because it is in a
very rich garden compost and soil mixture - it is also getting watered
frequently - it seems to like damp soil.

Our drive is adjacent the South facing wall of our house and I've got more
tubs there too. Two tubs with runner beans (5 per tub in a wigwam) already 7
feet high, and another three tubs with sweetcorn (3 per tub) All these are
thriving.

When Winter comes I will simply empty the tubs back onto the veg plot and in
Spring re-fill them with fresh garden soil and garden compost. So no need to
keep buying grow bags each year.

So, for what its worth, I recommend large tubs, cheaper in the long run and
better than grow bags - works for me anyway.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Druss

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
[...]

I grow my squashes in mounds of tyres, two tyres per mound, filled with a
similar mix of old compost, garden compost and soil, and one plant per tyre
mound, with a nice gravel topping. Seems to work a treat, marrows, pumpkins,
courgettes (various), and this year outdoor cucumbers. My only problem was
running out of compost and tyres before I ran out of plants!!!
Duncan

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM

Duncan,
Do you place the tyres on the earth to allow for drainage?
And maybe some weed proof membrane on the bottom to help prevent pests getting in?
Might give it a try myself

Ross

"Druss" wrote in message ...
[...]

Can Calabrese be grown in GROW BAG's? tina United Kingdom 4 05-06-2006 10:24 PM
Carrots in a grow bag? [email protected] United Kingdom 4 09-05-2006 12:12 PM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM