Old 11-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Default mesembryantheanthermumumum (you know what I mean) varieties

I have finally found how to grow these without every slug in the district
getting a meal (wall baskets)

So, very pleased with my mixed colour basketfuls this year.

But I find there's a particular colour mix that I like best of all - deep
magenta on the inner end of the petals, changing to brilliant orange at the
tips (Did I *say* it was subtle? I like it!)

Does anyone know if this colour mix is available as a named variety? Or
failing that, if seeds would be likely to come true, if I isolated a flower
and self-pollinated it?

Victoria
Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:38:12 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I have finally found how to grow these without every slug in the district
getting a meal (wall baskets)

So, very pleased with my mixed colour basketfuls this year.

But I find there's a particular colour mix that I like best of all - deep
magenta on the inner end of the petals, changing to brilliant orange at the
tips (Did I *say* it was subtle? I like it!)

Does anyone know if this colour mix is available as a named variety? Or
failing that, if seeds would be likely to come true, if I isolated a flower
and self-pollinated it?

Victoria

Are you talking annual or perennial/shrubby mesembs?
If it's the annual Dorotheanthus bellidiformis I doubt it will come
true from seed as it's recognised as being a very variable species,
although you can but try. If it's a perennial, they root very easily
from cuttings. Break off short bits about 2 - 4 cm long, remove any
lower leaves and flower buds and stick them in some damp dirty sand
under the g/h staging and they'll root in two or three weeks.

--
Chris

Old 11-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

Are you talking annual or perennial/shrubby mesembs?
If it's the annual Dorotheanthus bellidiformis I doubt it will come
true from seed as it's recognised as being a very variable species,
although you can but try

sorry, yes, I meant the common annual.

Victoria