Old 13-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Brian Mitchell

Default Apple problem

Hi,

I raised this issue last year without being able to resolve it, but
since it's recurring I thought I'd ask again.

The problem is some kind of blight or fungus, I believe. The leaves on
the apples in question darken, first in the veins then generally, giving
a dull, bruised sort of look. Then in the next stage they go black and
crisp from the edges inwards, before finally falling. This affects new
growth as well.

The two affected trees are in a corner so this year I cut the hedges
well back and down, and did all I could to encourage air flow around
them. I also fed them. In spite of that, this disease is showing signs
of starting up again.

The two trees are a russet, I don't know more than that about it, and a
complete mystery apple (came at a knock-down price because the label had
fallen off). In their first planted year both were completely healthy.

I've exhausted my repertoire of organic things to do, so I wondered if
there was a specific anti-fungal/viral spray or wash for fruit trees? Or
what else might I do? Might it be something in the soil?

Thanks...

Brian Mitchell
Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM
bnd777

Certainly sounds like some sort of disease
If the trees are near hedges I would suggest they are seriously stressed
either for water or nutrients
Try moving them in the Autumn to a less stressed area
they wont mind since they are young trees (Victorians did this often to get
better fruiting ) Its not as hard as you think
Mind you Russets are not the most proliferative producers and I know mine
needs lots of water

Old 17-06-2003, 12:22 AM
Brian Mitchell

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

The problem is some kind of blight or fungus, I believe.

Certainly sounds like some sort of disease
If the trees are near hedges I would suggest they are seriously stressed
either for water or nutrients
Try moving them in the Autumn to a less stressed area
they wont mind since they are young trees (Victorians did this often to get
better fruiting ) Its not as hard as you think
Mind you Russets are not the most proliferative producers and I know mine
needs lots of water

I will look into deficiencies. Thanks

Brian Mitchell