Old 13-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Janice

Default Pruning New Shrubs

Last year I planted new shrubs: ribes sanguineum; wiegela florida; lonicera
baggesen's gold; pyracantha; chaenomeles and viburnum tinus.

The shrubs are still quite small. Should I prune them now, or should I
leave them for a year or two until they get a bit bigger?

If they're pruned now there won't be much left of them!

Thanks

Old 13-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Janice" writes:
| Last year I planted new shrubs: ribes sanguineum; wiegela florida; lonicera
| baggesen's gold; pyracantha; chaenomeles and viburnum tinus.
|
| The shrubs are still quite small. Should I prune them now, or should I
| leave them for a year or two until they get a bit bigger?
|
| If they're pruned now there won't be much left of them!

Prune them lightly if they are getting out of shape, to remove
weak wood or to make them bush out. Otherwise, don't bother.
I don't know Wiegela, but none of the others need regular pruning;
you CAN prune them quite hard, but you don't NEED to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Janice

Thanks, Nick. I'll put away the secateurs, then. I love my secateurs and
would go wild and snip everything in sight if I could!

Regards

Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM
bnd777

It will take a while before they get out of hand
Once they get to a size you want trim them back after flowering and then
just repeat each year always after flowering or also in spring to tidy up
out of shape or thin /weak bits