Old 20-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Tony Bond

Default Succulent identification please.

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but its the only
related newsgroup I lurk in

I've recently inherited a large houseplant from an elderly relative, I've
taken some photo's and have stuck 'em on my webspace. The plant is a
succulent (I'm guessing here, I have next to no knowledge on plants) and has
been left growing against a window for a looong time by the looks of things
and needs some TLC. It is very unbalanced and falls over when the pot dries
out so I would imagine it needs some judicious pruning. Can anyone please
identify the plant and point me in the direction of any good sites that
cover the care for 'em please ?

PS Any idea how old it could be ? And would it survive a Yorkshire summer
outdoors ?

This one is a crap photo of the 'trunk'.
http://www.locost.myby.co.uk/stuff/plant1.jpg

This one is a good photo of the whole thing.
http://www.locost.myby.co.uk/stuff/plant2.jpg

Shows the 'lean' towards the light.
http://www.locost.myby.co.uk/stuff/plant3.jpg

This one is a photo of a piece of the plant that broke off, seems to have
roots.
http://www.locost.myby.co.uk/stuff/plant4.jpg

Thanks all

In anticipation.

--

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

http://www.bradford7.co.uk

Old 20-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tony Bond
writes
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but its the only
related newsgroup I lurk in

I've recently inherited a large houseplant from an elderly relative, I've
taken some photo's and have stuck 'em on my webspace. The plant is a
succulent (I'm guessing here, I have next to no knowledge on plants) and has
been left growing against a window for a looong time by the looks of things
and needs some TLC. It is very unbalanced and falls over when the pot dries
out so I would imagine it needs some judicious pruning. Can anyone please
identify the plant and point me in the direction of any good sites that
cover the care for 'em please ?

Crassula argentea, aka money plant.

Don't prune it - put it in a bigger pot. If it's unbalanced, planting it
at a slight angle in the new pot may help.

Water freely in summer, but allowing the soil to dry out between
waterings. Water *very sparingly* in winter - it doesn't like cold wet
feet, but don't let its leaves shrivel up if you can help it.

It will survive a Yorkshire summer outdoors, but I don't think it will
necessarily like full sun. I keep mine in any spare space I can find -
mostly under the bench in the greenhouse.

If you feel inclined to feed it, tomato fertiliser no more than every
two weeks in summer. It may flower for you - little bunches of tiny
pinky white flowers in spring.

It's probably about 10 years old, could be more. And the bit that has
fallen off should root quite easily as a cutting, if you *really* want
another one ;-)

(You may gather it's not my no 1 favourite plant, but there isn't
actually anything against it - it's quite inoffensive. Just not very
exciting)

[...]

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-06-2003, 12:44 AM
David Hill

Tough as old boots, will take drought, but not over watering.
Loves to bake in the summer, this will help produce flowers around Xmas.
I had one that made a 2 inch thick trunk in less than 3 years.
Also comes in yellow variegated and white variegated forms, bought a pot of
the latter in Malta, had 4 plants in it and cost £1.00 M. It/they are the
best specimen/s I have seen.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Janice

Crassula Argentea or Jade Plant. Take a look at
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html for information on it.

Regards.

Old 21-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Tony Bond

Janice wrote:
Crassula Argentea or Jade Plant. Take a look at
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html for information on it.

Regards.

Thanks to all who replied

First reply was 2 minutes after I posted, makes me feel guilty I didn't
check back 'til now

Cheers again.