Old 25-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Ian Burns

Default Phytoseiulus persimilis - red carpet treatment

At this time of year, the whole area of our garden under concrete (a
terrace and paved areas) are swarming with what I believe are
Phytoseiulus persimilis, best known as the predator for red spider
mite.

The only references for this species I can find through Google are to
its use to control red spider mite. As far as I know we have no red
spider mite. The infestations have happened every summer since the
house was built in 1998.

While they seem to be harmless, nobody wants to sit out on our terrace
because of this 'red carpet'.

What do you recommend to control/eliminate this pest. And where can I
find out something about their habitat, breeding, etc?

Ian
Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Zizz

"Ian Burns" wrote in message
m...
At this time of year, the whole area of our garden under concrete (a
terrace and paved areas) are swarming with what I believe are
Phytoseiulus persimilis, best known as the predator for red spider
mite.

The only references for this species I can find through Google are to
its use to control red spider mite. As far as I know we have no red
spider mite. The infestations have happened every summer since the
house was built in 1998.

While they seem to be harmless, nobody wants to sit out on our terrace
because of this 'red carpet'.

What do you recommend to control/eliminate this pest. And where can I
find out something about their habitat, breeding, etc?

Ian

Sounds like you have a natural resource ... if they can be collected .... to
offer them to people who do suffer from red spidermite!

Old 25-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"Ian Burns" wrote in message m...
At this time of year, the whole area of our garden under concrete (a
terrace and paved areas) are swarming with what I believe are
Phytoseiulus persimilis, best known as the predator for red spider
mite.

No - not Phytoseiulus persimilis, they are *much* smaller and slower than the little fast moving red spiders that you're
seeing. They are very common in hot dry parts of the garden at this time of year. Absolutely harmless and nothing to get
concerned about. Less concrete/ more beds and borders and of course plants with the moister conditions that these would
bring is the way to reduce your little spiders if you must - you'll have a more interesting garden as well ;-))
BTW Phytoseiulus persimilis if you look at it with a decent hand lens has a somewhat pear shaped body compared with the
round body of these much larger little spiders.

Rod