Old 25-06-2003, 08:28 PM
john ratcliffe

Default Cordyline Australis

Just puchased a cordyline and would like to know if the plant requires any
special needs for the soil or tips on growing it is about 3 feet tall

Many thanks
john

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Jez Phillips

Hi John

Just checked my 'Architectural Plants' book by Christine Shaw. She says...

soil - not fussy, but must be well drained
site - sun or light shade. suitable for pots for one season only (don't know
how big it would be after one season...).
general care - winter wrapping might be needed - depends where you are.
central london - OK. north wales, prob not. brown biting might be needed
(manicuring the foliage by removing the brown bits)
pests and diseases - trouble free

I don't know where you got the plant - but an ace nursery I visited recently
is architectural plants (www.architecturalplants.com) and I'm sure they
could give you more tips if needed.

(I have no ties with the place - but it's worth highlighting a really well
laid out nursery, with top plants, and a quirky very personal approach)

cheers

JP

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
M C C

They grow like weeds down here in Cornwall :-)
Most of them are like trees and are in "bloom" at the moment with huge
creamy panicles of flowers.
--
M C C
Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"john wrote in message
Just puchased a cordyline and would like to know if the plant requires any
special needs for the soil or tips on growing it is about 3 feet tall

Sun and well drained soil is their only requirement. The only problem I've
encountered is getting them over the first few winters*, but that was some
time ago when we had bad winters here, once they get a trunk they need some
days below zero (and possible some damp) to cause permanent damage. Once big
enough that the trunk starts to split and form a canopy (10ft tall+) then
they seem impervious. (I hope!)
* even if they succumb to the cold they often come back again from the deep
roots so don't dig them out, leave them for a couple of seasons just to see.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 24-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Paul Matthews

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

* even if they succumb to the cold they often come back again from the deep
roots so don't dig them out, leave them for a couple of seasons just to see.

We bought one when on holiday, and thought we had lost it after a winter but
were quite pleased when it sprouted again!
--
Paul Matthews

http://www.hepcats.co.uk