Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
david

Default tulips from seed

Following the posts on tulip bulbs, has anyone experience of propagating
from seed? We have allowed one tulip this year to produce its seed pod, and
I was thinking of trying to propagate in the greenhouse through the winter.
I assume one waits till the pod is dry before extracting the seed.
If anyone has done this successfully, I'd be glad to learn from your
experience.
David

Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "david" contains these words:

Following the posts on tulip bulbs, has anyone experience of propagating
from seed? We have allowed one tulip this year to produce its seed pod, and
I was thinking of trying to propagate in the greenhouse through the winter.
I assume one waits till the pod is dry before extracting the seed.
If anyone has done this successfully, I'd be glad to learn from your
experience.
David

Yes, if it's a species tulip like T. tarda or T. turkestanica, seed is a
very good way to propagate. If it's a hybrid tulip, it won't come true
to the parent tulip.

I would sow when the seed is ripe, or in autumn, in a free-draining
compost, cover the seed with a good layer of grit and stand the pot
outside. Greenhouse would do but you need the freezing temperatures to
break dormancy. the seed should germinate in the following spring. It
will take a few years to reach flowering size.

Janet G

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
tulips from seed david United Kingdom 0 25-06-2003 09:57 AM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
Tulips Dave&Dana Gaunky Gardening 4 12-03-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM