Old 11-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Dave&Dana Gaunky

Default Tulips

I have a questions about tulips. When they have finished blooming do you
cut them back or let them die off and then dry the bulbs?

Dave

Old 11-03-2003, 09:57 PM
J~

NOT !! saying this is right,,, but I don't trim back the leaves until
they look unhealthy and I even leave my bulbs in the ground year round.

J~
Portland, OR

Old 11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
SugarChile

Deadhead them--remove just the spent flowers--and let the foliage yellow and
dry up naturally. The bulbs need the energy transferred to them by the
waning foliage in order to bloom the next year. There's no particular need
to dig up the bulbs if you are in a cold-winter area.

Tulips are a bit more problematic than daffodils and crocuses. Depending on
the type of tulip and the climate and growing conditions where you are, they
may or may not perennialize. But the above method will give them the best
shot at it.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Penny Morgan

Depending on what zone you're in, you either leave them in the ground and
mulch over or lift them out and store them in a cool, dry place until the
next year. By cool and dry, I mean packed in some peat moss in a basement
or refrigerator.

You can cut the spent flowers off the tops, but you should let the stalks
and leaves die back. By doing this, the bulb gets energy stored for next
season. If you pull them out after they have died back, let them dry off a
little bit, then store them in a dry cool place.

I live in zone 7b, so we just leave our tulips in the ground until next
year. Unfortunately, our heat and moisture isn't the best environment for
tulips, so we use them more as annuals here in beds. Daffodils do wonderful
here and multiply year after year. Look up your local Cooperative Extension
office in your phone book and ask them what they recommend for your area.
That's probably your safest bet.

Good luck,

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 12-03-2003, 12:20 AM
paghat

In article , "Dave&Dana
Gaunky" wrote:

I have a questions about tulips. When they have finished blooming do you
cut them back or let them die off and then dry the bulbs?

Dave

Others answered this very well.
I just wanted to add:
My Kaufmaniana tulips are in full bloom right now!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
tulips question seeking Gardening 1 20-04-2003 12:20 AM
Squirrels massacre tulips Rachel Gardening 13 19-04-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM