Old 25-06-2003, 11:57 PM
hendo2002

Default mares tail

What is the best way of getting rid ????? I'm Inundated , in the grass,
borders, just about everywhere , thanx

Old 26-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
hendo2002 wrote:
What is the best way of getting rid ????? I'm Inundated , in the grass,
borders, just about everywhere , thanx

Well, it's been around since before mammals evolved, and the consensus
on this group is it may well be around when mammals are extinct, so
the correct question is whether you CAN get rid of it. Some people
have had some success by bruising its stems and using glyphosate,
but the only real way is to improve the drainage. And that will only
reduce its vigour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Malcolm

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
hendo2002 wrote:
What is the best way of getting rid ????? I'm Inundated , in the grass,
borders, just about everywhere , thanx

Well, it's been around since before mammals evolved, and the consensus
on this group is it may well be around when mammals are extinct, so
the correct question is whether you CAN get rid of it. Some people
have had some success by bruising its stems and using glyphosate,
but the only real way is to improve the drainage. And that will only
reduce its vigour.

I have been having more success this year getting rid of single stems
coming up in borders using Ammonium sulphamate, sold as Root-out. The
technique is the same as with glyphosate, rub the stem in your
(rubber-gloved) hand, to damage the crystalline outer layer which
otherwise resists chemicals, and then spray it. The wilting/browning
effect appears within 24-48 hours, which is quicker than I've found with
glysophate and, so far, there's been a welcome reduction in other shoots
coming up near by, suggesting (though it's early days) that the chemical
is penetrating well down into the root system.

There's little or nothing that can be done about it in grass or if there
is a serious infestation among other plants except, as Nick says,
improve the drainage, or if you want to be really drastic you can
attempt to spray the lot out of existence - which was what was doing to
happen to a large infested border shown in a recent TV programme about
the RHS, which was discussed here very recently.

climbs on hobbyhorse
As there is another (and benign) plant, Hippuris vulgaris, called
'Mare's tail', I'm trying to stick to 'Horsetail' for Equisetum (usually
arvense) which is the pest you are suffering from.
gets down again!

--
Malcolm
Old 26-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Ron

"hendo2002" wrote in message
What is the best way of getting rid ????? I'm Inundated , in the grass,
borders, just about everywhere , thanx

After spraying some undergrowth with SBK I saw just one spike poking through
some gravel chippings surrounding a raised bed, so I gave it a small dose.

Next day it had drooped and was dead and shrivelled within a week: I haven's
seen it since. I've noticed some growing in a flower bed so I'll try just
painting it with some SBK soon.

Regards

Ron

Old 26-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Pickle

" "hendo2002" wrote in message
What is the best way of getting rid ????? I'm Inundated , in the grass,
borders, just about everywhere , thanx

just a question, on a gravel drive or somewhere else where there are no
other plants, would sodium chlorate finish them off?

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 2 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM