Old 29-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Justin Thyme

Default Which winter veg to grow?

We cleared one row of early potaoes this week to make space for a batch
of oriental salad greens which we had seeded a few weeks ago. Another
row will be coming out today and we shall sow a quick catch crop of
radish and other roots, to be lifted very young. If you don't have
anything in particular to put in, the ground can be left open to fallow
either until late summer/autumn planting or till next spring. Or you
could dribble a sowing of green manure seed in and turn that in before
any seed heads begin to mature.

Thank you.

What exactly is green manure seed? I can imagine but what exactly do I buy?

Incidentally, I planted Kohlrabi and Corvet F1 Broccoli in seed beds from
where I transplanted to rows. I still have loads of plants left in the seed
beds which, although cramped and having no space in which to mature, are
looking remarkably healthy. Is there any point at all in transplanting
these now into the vacant potato plot?

Old 29-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Paul wrote in message

That sounds interesting, can you remember the Seed Co or anything to
give me a clue to the name?

I've dug out the info - Alvito RZ from www.organiccatalog.com

Thanks Paul.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 30-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Justin
Thyme writes

What exactly is green manure seed? I can imagine but what exactly do I buy?

Green manuring is a system of soil regeneration. It is carried out by
sowing plants which will develop a lot of leafy and/or fibrous material,
then turning them into the soil before they develop seed heads. A wide
range of plants can be used, but the best ones are those which mature
quickly and grow a lot of bulk. A good one to consider for summer sowing
in a vegetable growing area would be grazing rye, but there are many
others to choose from. The Organic gardening catalogue carries about 20
varieties, and it gives full cultural instructions with sowing times and
seed densities. Online details and ordering at: www.OrganicCatalog.com

Incidentally, I planted Kohlrabi and Corvet F1 Broccoli in seed beds from
where I transplanted to rows. I still have loads of plants left in the seed
beds which, although cramped and having no space in which to mature, are
looking remarkably healthy. Is there any point at all in transplanting
these now into the vacant potato plot?

You could give it a try, brassicas are remarkably adaptable, but be
prepared for some of them to bolt.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.