Old 27-06-2003, 07:27 PM
janet.bennett

Default Canner?

Yesterday, the Parks Department planted up the border outside our office,
and someone identified one of plants as a Canner? (Broad Leaves - look like
Banana)
Is there such a plant? and if so, what is the latin name/ as I can't seem to
find it on the internet.
It is an annual? It is possible to grow it from seed? Thanks

Old 27-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Mike Hunter

Canna aka "Indian Shot"

Grows from seed easily. Not really hardy - treat like a dahlia (sp) both for
watering and overwinter storage.
If you are lucky enough to have sandy well drained soil you can probably
leave them in the ground under a heap of mulch - but the downside is more
watering in the summer.

HTH

Mike