Old 28-07-2010, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default All American Canner

I can a lot of tomato juice each year and I am in the market for a 30
qt All American Canner. This unit will hold 16 quart jars of tomato
juice. It will probably weigh about 80 pounds when I fill it. I
process them in my basement. Is there a heavy duty gas (natural or
propane) or electric burner that will support such a weight?
Thanks, Richard
Old 28-07-2010, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
richardg wrote:

I can a lot of tomato juice each year and I am in the market for a 30
qt All American Canner. This unit will hold 16 quart jars of tomato
juice. It will probably weigh about 80 pounds when I fill it. I
process them in my basement. Is there a heavy duty gas (natural or
propane) or electric burner that will support such a weight?
Thanks, Richard

Well rec.food.preserving would answer you better. However, I like my 20
qt 4 qt jars or 10 pint jar american canner. Smaller canners cool down
faster and do double batches faster than larger ones. Weight and height
is your enemy. I hope you do not have a microwave oven above your stove
or you wont be able to use it. Your better off with two smaller canners
than one big one. Try the the other newsgroup for better information.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 28-07-2010, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You could use the stand and propane burner that is used for a turkey fryer.
It will easily hold that amount of weight. Not sure about the safety issue
of doing it in your basement though.

Old 29-07-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"richardg" wrote in message
I can a lot of tomato juice each year and I am in the market for a 30
qt All American Canner. This unit will hold 16 quart jars of tomato
juice. It will probably weigh about 80 pounds when I fill it. I
process them in my basement. Is there a heavy duty gas (natural or
propane) or electric burner that will support such a weight?
Thanks, Richard

Also the heat needs to be adjustable for a pressure canner. However, a
BWB water baths temperature does not need that much regulating. For
tomatoes I usually use the BWB method.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Hillary, Osama & McInsane All Spit On the American Majority Ted[_2_] Gardening 1 17-04-2008 05:45 PM
[IBC] the All-American Shohin Society John Romano Bonsai 1 02-06-2005 07:12 PM
Good evening y'all! Hope all is well Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 5 09-09-2003 10:29 PM
Canner? janet.bennett United Kingdom 3 01-07-2003 12:20 PM
Canner? janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 27-06-2003 07:27 PM