Old 30-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Gary Roberts

Default How do I get rid of green covering on pond

I have tried everything I can think of - have got pump running 24 hrs a day
with a UV filter supposely killing algy - throw pond salt in every day
(should I be doing that) - we haven't got any blanket weed or snails - about
8 very large koi and 8 small ones live in the pond - would love it to look
crystal clear.

Old 30-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Howlis

You need to fit a biological filter, leave out the salt and over a period of
time exchange some of the water to get rid of the salt. You don't say how
old your pond is but if you've recently filled it or put a large amount of
tap water in you will have to wait for the water to age. In time your pond
will balance itself, new ponds often go through this period of developing a
"bloom" each year. I have a pond which is nine years old, fitted with a
home - made biological filter and the pump runs 24/7 ten months of the year,
the water is crystal and I never have trouble with green water. It will also
help if you put some plants in. It is possible that you have to many fish
for the amount of water in your pond, producing to much waste, try cutting
down on the feeding, little and often is the rule.

H.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Tony Bull

Is your green covering Duck weed?
If so just scoop it out wih a fine net.
If it is algae, then I think your best bet would be to use barley straw
along with a biological filter as suggested by howlis.
Barley straw should be used at about 2 Kg/4000 litre and put in a plastic
net underneath the return from the filter It wil ltake about 6 weeks to
work. Also try to ensure that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the surface of your pond
is covered by waterlilies and/or water hawthorn or other surface covering
plants. It may be too late for these methods to work before the end of
september when the water cooling will have a beneficial effect anyway.
Regards
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
Old 02-07-2003, 06:32 PM
JOHNSONCHARLES5

I have heard that straw provides bacteria which prevents algeae making ponds go
green.So throw a bale of straw in or if only asmall pond put some straw in a
net.If it works let me know.

Charlie Johnson
Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Tony Bull

"Gary Roberts" wrote in message ...
I have tried everything I can think of - have got pump running 24 hrs a day
with a UV filter supposely killing algy - throw pond salt in every day
(should I be doing that) - we haven't got any blanket weed or snails - about
8 very large koi and 8 small ones live in the pond - would love it to look
crystal clear.

Here are some more thoughts on the subject.
Anecdotal information suggests that only barley straw and not wheat
straw is effective. One theory is that the straw decomposes and forms
humic acid. The humic acid oxidises the well-oxygenated water to
hydrogen peroxide. H2O2 in very small concentrations is fatal to
algae.
My friend who is a fish biologist suggests that daphnia breed in the
barley straw and consume great quantities of algae.
Neither theories seem to explain why only barley straw is effective.
Unfortunately fish consume great quantities of daphnia!!
I have found that the small bags sold in garden centres are
ineffective. I use two nets that have each held 3kg of seed potatoes.
I place a 10cm stone in the bottom of each net and stuff the barley
straw on top, packing it quite tightly. I then tie the bags under the
return from the filter or under the waterfall from one of my
fountains!! My pond had been green for two years when I used the
barley straw. I used it in August last year, and it cleared in about 6
weeks. This coincided with a drop in temperature so the real test was
this spring when a rise in temperature did not bring about the
expected algal bloom. The straw has also cleared my friend's pond,
again in about six weeks. My wife also gets in the pond in November
and physically removes silt and dead leaves. We generally remove about
four barrows full (my pond is about 5 metres diameter.
I hope that this is of some use to all

Old 04-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Howlis

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have also tried barley straw but found that it was to unsightly for my
liking. I still think that the OP would do better to fit a biological filter
of an appropriate size, he could then buy a seeding material (use to be in a
packet costing coppers) from any garden and pond shop or maybe if he knows
someone with a filter he could use a bucket of water out of the bottom of
their filter, he should find it's up and running within two or three weeks.

H.

Old 04-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Hugh Newbury

Howlis wrote:

I have a pond which is nine years old, fitted with a
home - made biological filter and the pump runs 24/7 ten months of the year,
the water is crystal and I never have trouble with green water.

How did you make the biological filter, please?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

Running Mandrake 9.1 in deepest Dorset

Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Tony Bull

"Howlis" wrote in message ...
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I agree that a biological filter is a good idea, but mine was unable
to cope in the warm weather.As the barley straw is under the surface
of the pond, I fail to see how it can be unsightly especialy if the
water is opaque initially! My barley straw is under the return from
the filter, in amongst some parrots feather and is not visible at all
even though the water is now gin clear