Old 05-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Hawes watering can

Anyone know where I can get a galvanised Hawes-type watering can, like
Monty Don's on GW?

--
Chris

Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

Chris Hogg wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a galvanised Hawes-type watering can, like
Monty Don's on GW?

Why won't Haws sell you one then?

Or haven't you got that far;-)))
http://www.haws.co.uk/
Drop them an email and they'll send you the catalogue. Or ask them for
nearest stockist to you.

I get mine from local nursery.. They are very good, very reasonably
priced (unless you getthem from garden centres), excellently designed,
well balanced (esp the long handled ones) and I have nothing bad to say
about them;-)

Quite a few of their designs come in plain gal. metal, paint coated, or
plastic.

//

Jim
Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 19:43:29 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a galvanised Hawes-type watering can, like
Monty Don's on GW?

Why won't Haws sell you one then?

Or haven't you got that far;-)))
http://www.haws.co.uk/

Ah! That's because I can't spell. Google didn't turn up much for
Hawes!

Thanks.

--
Chris

Old 05-07-2003, 10:44 PM
David Hill

I've had a plastic Haws can for over 20 years now, better than the Gal. ones

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
cpemma

David Hill wrote:
I've had a plastic Haws can for over 20 years now, better than the
Gal. ones

They are if you keep them out of the sun (for long periods), but mine have
gone brittle after 2-3 years. UV causes it, dark green are more resistant
than bright yellow but easier to lose. ;-)

But they're much cheaper than the gal ones, so I persevere with my untidy
ways.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
David Hill

Mine is red and is never put away in any specialplace, lives in glasshouse.
Thinking about it, it was bought 1971

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Jim W

David Hill wrote:

I've had a plastic Haws can for over 20 years now, better than the Gal. ones

Certainly lighter to lift and 'warmer' to use than the gal ones..

What I like is the 'half size' ones with the end 'downspout' great for
getting the water where you want it.. Esp good for houseplants as you
don't water the floor so easily;-)

And they do spares as well;-)
//
Jim
Old 07-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:49:20 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

I've had a plastic Haws can for over 20 years now, better than the Gal. ones

I also had a long-spouted plastic one for many years (may not have
been Haws), but it eventually went brittle (sunlight?). But I have an
affection for heavy, clunky old galvanised cans. I must confess that I
thought the term 'Haws' was a generic description of the long-spouted
type (like Hoover or Thermos) and I didn't realise that Haws were
still in existence. I've not seen the galvanised variety in garden
centres around here for many years, hence my initial query.

--
Chris