Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM
the love boat skipper

Default Growing GHERKINS

I am growing Gherkins (National Pickling variety) for the first time... but I don't understand
how to train/stake/support them. Excuse my ignorance, but can some one suggest what one does
with these plants. With tomatoes, I can usually support my plants with a central stake, but
the gherkin seems to grow laterally, so perhaps I need a central stake, and then a lateral
means of support.

A diagram would be helpful.

H E L P !!!!!!! :-)

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Alan Gould

In article , the love boat skipper
writes
I am growing Gherkins (National Pickling variety) for the first time... but I
don't understand
how to train/stake/support them. Excuse my ignorance, but can some one suggest
what one does
with these plants. With tomatoes, I can usually support my plants with a
central stake, but
the gherkin seems to grow laterally, so perhaps I need a central stake, and
then
a lateral
means of support.

You should be able to grow gherkins up a vertical support if that is
what you choose to do, but they are normally intended to grow on a ridge
outside. Hence their name Ridge Cucumbers. That way they will send out
their lateral side shoots down the side of the ridge. Sometimes the
gherkins hide under leaves and can be missed until they are over-sized,
but frequent picking will avoid that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

gherkins Cardi Man United Kingdom 1 10-06-2005 06:42 PM
Pickled gherkins - is life too short? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 05-08-2004 02:42 PM
Cucumbers and Gherkins David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 10 28-06-2004 11:08 AM
Gherkins Mike Le Pelley Edible Gardening 3 05-08-2003 12:32 PM
Growing GHERKINS the love boat skipper Gardening 2 08-07-2003 06:02 PM