Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Cardi Man

Default gherkins

Gherkins seemed a good idea at the time when I found a packet of seeds. But
very little guidance on packet so a couple of questions come to mind so I'd
apprecaite your advice.

I assume they are a type of cucumber. There are several male flowers.

First question should I remove them?
And secend question is could they pollinate my real cucumbers growing in the
grrenhouse and make them bitter?

Thanks,
Cardi

Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Cardi
Man writes
Gherkins seemed a good idea at the time when I found a packet of seeds. But
very little guidance on packet so a couple of questions come to mind so I'd
apprecaite your advice.

I assume they are a type of cucumber. There are several male flowers.

They are a small knobbly type of cucumber .
Male flowers are normal and essential to gherkin growth.

First question should I remove them?

NO!

And secend question is could they pollinate my real cucumbers growing in the
grrenhouse and make them bitter?

Just technically possible, but most unlikely in practice.

Normally, gherkins are grown outside on a ridge, hence their title
Outdoor Ridge Cucumber, but they should crop well inside.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.