Old 11-07-2003, 07:56 AM
jay

Default Plant problem :-(

Hello There,

I wonder if anyone can tell me please, what the powdery black substance is
that is covering my leaves on my Citrus Tree, Bay Tree and my Nectarine
plant is? It also looks like it may be spreading to my Grape Vine. All these
plants live in my green house in the North West of England. Ive looked for
answers through the web, but im not 100% sure.

Thanks in Advance

JAmie

Old 11-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , jay
writes
Hello There,

I wonder if anyone can tell me please, what the powdery black substance is
that is covering my leaves on my Citrus Tree, Bay Tree and my Nectarine
plant is? It also looks like it may be spreading to my Grape Vine. All these
plants live in my green house in the North West of England. Ive looked for
answers through the web, but im not 100% sure.

On the bay tree and citrus, it is almost certainly black mould growing
on the sticky exudate from scale insects. Look under the leaves above
the black are, and you will see oval brown scales. If you get rid of the
scale insect, you will be able to wash off the mould, and it will not
recur.

If you have an established colony of scale insect, then it will quite
happily spread to nectarine and any other adjacent plants.

I take them off manually (scraping with finger nail), and cut off really
badly affected roots to reduce the chore a bit.

Once you think you've got rid of them all, keep checking every month or
so for ones you missed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-07-2003, 06:46 PM
jay

Thanks Kay.

Sounds like its not to a serious problem and that it should recover.
Brilliant a nuce job for a warm Friday eve.

Thanks again

JAmie

Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Andy

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:54:30 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

[...]

So /that's/ what's on my Bay Tree. Amazing what you learn by reading
these posts. I'm off to scrape them right now.

Andy

Old 11-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"jay" wrote in message
Thanks Kay.

Sounds like its not to a serious problem and that it should recover.
Brilliant a nuce job for a warm Friday eve.

Sounds easy, true. But you have to get them all off every leaf and every
branch, and some may be very small and tucked well into crevices and
creases.
If you pump up a sprayer of plain water to full power and keep it there you
can blast them off with a single jet but you still have to systematically go
over every part of the plant and you too will get wet.

Sounds a good job for right now with this hot weather. :-)

BTW Citrus are very prone to Scale.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.