Old 14-07-2003, 01:02 PM
amanda pope

Default Fast growing screening plant?

It is difficult to establish anything in an existing hawthorn hedge.

As you will need to let the light in to the growing space and also have to
water frequently due to the shading and competition of the existing hedge.

If you are adding to a hawthorn try ligustrun vulgare, (wild privet) Ilex
aquifolium (holy) will be vigorous enough to stand a chance.

I would let the hawthorn grow to the desired height as this is about as
quick a way of getting a screen and being dense does provide some cover over
winter.

Look at the most important points you want to block ( views in and out) and
put in a few trees/ shrub within the garden between the points. ( use a sun
umbrella positioned where the tree might go to judge the screening effect )
This way you can get virtually instant privacy and block out unsightly views
without having to wait 5-10 years for a hedge to get big enough.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Westside wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

I need to plant a fast growing screen or hedge to protect my privacy
from a house that is under construction.

Anyone got any advice?

My current boundary is a hawthorn hedge which is interspersed with some
beech trees. These are deciduous though and I would like to plant some
evergreens inside them to make the screen.

My current choices are bamboo or laurel......

Westside
--
Westside

Old 16-07-2003, 01:53 AM
bnd777

Bamboo needs water
Laurel can be thuggish
Pyracantha will grow fast keep out vandals and sure looks good in winter
Escallonia too

Old 18-07-2003, 12:03 AM
David Hill

Get hold of a load of pieces of Lonicera Natidia about 12 to 15 inches long
in Sept /Oct and stick them in about 6 to 9 inches deep all along the
hedge,every 6 inches or so.
Many will root over the winter, and will grow through the thorn.
I did this 3 years ago and the 300ft hawthorn hedge has filled well.
They wont all root but enough will to do the job.
You should be able to scrounge the pieces if you are lucky.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries