Old 16-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Amanda Pope

Default Alium Seeds

takes an age for the seed to develop into bulbs large enough to flower 2-4
years usual.

still worth it though

Old 16-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Janice" contains these words:

My ornamental alliums (giganteum, aflatunense Purple Sensation) have now
produced seeds. If I collect and sow these seeds, will they produce flowers
next year or will it be several years before they flower?

It will be several years before they build up to flowering size. I think
about four is likely to be the minmum, certainly so if they get the kind
of semi-neglect my pot-grown plants get.

Janet G

Old 16-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Janet wrote in message
My ornamental alliums (giganteum, aflatunense Purple Sensation) have now
produced seeds. If I collect and sow these seeds, will they produce

flowers
next year or will it be several years before they flower?

It will be several years before they build up to flowering size. I think
about four is likely to be the minmum, certainly so if they get the kind
of semi-neglect my pot-grown plants get.

Being they are hardy, couldn't one simply plant a row of seed (like spring
onions) and forget about them for a few years (except for weeding) ?
It's what I intend to do.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.