Old 17-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Ian Rosenthal

Default killing atree

I am not a gardener but wanted some advise from this forum

I think my neighbour is trying to kill a tree that is just on my side of the
fence. I would estimate it is 10-15 years old and each year it blocks out
more of the light from his patio. It all abit of along story but I am
convinced he is doing something. The tree is still healthy but I want to
know what to look out for. What are the choice of methods and what will be
the subsequent effect. He is always around the tree at times when he thinks
I am out or at night. I have inspected but cannot see anything. There is
awhole which looks man made at the base which might have been filled. what
could he have put in there.

As you will appreciate I am most anoyed....can anyone help please

Ian

Old 17-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Mike

In article , Ian Rosenthal
writes
I am not a gardener but wanted some advise from this forum

I think my neighbour is trying to kill a tree that is just on my side of the
fence. I would estimate it is 10-15 years old and each year it blocks out
more of the light from his patio. It all abit of along story but I am
convinced he is doing something. The tree is still healthy but I want to
know what to look out for. What are the choice of methods and what will be
the subsequent effect. He is always around the tree at times when he thinks
I am out or at night. I have inspected but cannot see anything. There is
awhole which looks man made at the base which might have been filled. what
could he have put in there.

As you will appreciate I am most anoyed....can anyone help please

Ian

Ian you have to be 99.99% sure before you can do anything. 100% is even
better. I had this problem with a piece of land I had in Leicester. A
neighbour did not want the hedge I planted at the bottom of his garden
and quite merrily sprinkled Sodium Chlorate on the ground. A Solicitor's
letter soon put a stop to it and when he saw what sort of person he was
dealing with, he moved. Another person, as soon as I cleared some of the
land of the junk, wood, metal and concrete etc, would come over when I
was not there and scattered it again. Once again a Solicitor's letter
put a stop to that.

I suggest that you stay quiet, lay low, and when he does come onto your
land and interferes with the tree, you take a photo with a very strong
flash. All you need to say is "What are you doing?"

BUT, do you need the tree and do you need the aggro if it is spoiling
his pleasure time? See my posting elsewhere re the Horse Chestnut Tree,
the Tree Preservation Order and the desire 'by the neighbours' to get it
out.

Neighbours 'HAVE' to be lived with, unless you are going to live all by
yourself on an Island :-((

Mike, on the Isle of Wight with 100,000 other people.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 17-07-2003, 07:02 PM
bnd777

I can understand your annoyance and particularily if the neighbour has not
politely approched you to explain his problem so you can find an amicable
solution
However as one who suffers the hell of 150 ft of Conifer hedge 12ft high and
breaking my fence and I for medical reasons am physically unable to cope
with the constant cutting back thats required nor do i want the mess or
expense of profesionals and the grower refuses point blank to mediate or
compromise I can see things from all sides

If the tree is blocking more and more light from your neighbours patio
please put youself in the same situation and think how you would feel if
roles were reversed ...........then try to find an amicable solution