Old 20-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default New fence- new planting suggestions.

We have just had new fence put in along part of the boundary (replacing
a beech hedge). We are now considering the new planting to do along this
fence. W do of course have ideas of our own but I looking for any other
suggestions people might make (particularly less obvious/common ones).

You can see a picture of the fence at:

http://www.familyfrench.co.uk/temp/fence.htm

The length of fence is about 18m. It faces almost directly due south
(just a bit off to the east -SSE?) so gets full sun for a lot of the
day, though the house end is shaded a bit later on in the day (the
photo was taken at about 6.15 pm this evening. Soil is heavy clay which
gets (and stays) very wet in the winter. The fence is going to soon be
painted with a dark green preservative.

The tree is a flowering cherry. the old raised bed near it is going (it
look just like a small shrub in the picture), and doesn't contain
anything much - might keep the Cotoneaster, the arching branches looks
nice with the red berries on.

As the ground slopes down away from the fence into the garden We are
going to construct a new ,slightly (about a foot or so say) raise bed
along in front of the fence of varying width say about 2-4 foot maybe.

Basic aims are to cover the fence with lots of climbers and shrubs, and
get plenty of interest into it :-)

There are plans to plant a couple more small trees either side of the
Cherry - we don't like it much and it would give the possibility of
removing the cherry in the future once they have grown up a bit.
Possibilities include Crab apple, fruiting cherry, magnolia.

Suggestions please. :-)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 20-07-2003, 11:42 PM
bnd777

Well roses just love Clay soil so maybe lots of climbing roses and bush
roses
Delphiniums should be happy
Bamboo would love the moisture
Buddleas,choisya,Ribes should all be OK
Primula wanderer loves clay soils

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...