Old 21-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Aileen Howard

Default Sweet Peas and beetles

Help!

I have grown some lovely, scented, sweet peas, but can't bring them into the
house because they are full of tiny black beetles - what can I do please? I
long to fill jugs and vases with them :-(

Regards, Aileen

Old 21-07-2003, 07:18 PM
The Devil's Advocate

They are probably the oil seed rape beetle. I've never had them but have
heard about this on Gardeners' Question Time. I'm afraid I can't remember
the remedy. I think it was to grow something yellow and they'll go to that
instead of your sweet peas

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Aileen Howard

Thanks Robert

You're right, they are oil seed rape beetles as far as I can tell. I
'googled' the phrase and found them described on the RHS website. I'm sure
that's them, so it seems I'm stuck with them. I will need to cut the
flowers and put them somewhere to migrate away from the vase and towards the
light for a few hours before taking them into the house - it sounds a bit
tedious, so I'll probably just leave them in the garden. Trouble is, if I
don't cut them for the house I'll probably forget to take the dead flowers
off and they'll stop flowering.

It seems I can look forward to them coming back next year :-(

Regards, Aileen

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...