Old 26-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Any Plant sales

Hi,

I would like to plant some fruit trees such as plums, pears, apples, etc and
your suggestions would be welcome.

Any success with Cherries please?

Rajinder

Old 27-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

I would like to plant some fruit trees such as plums, pears, apples, etc and
your suggestions would be welcome.

Any success with Cherries please?

Stella crops quite well. A pale cherry with a red blush. Morellos are
good too. These are the only cherries of which I have direct experience.

Watch the blackbirds though - you will probably have to net the trees,
so if you can get them in weeping form it will make it easier.

Plums? You can't do much better (IMO) than Victorias.

Apples - I like Charles Ross, which are large (sometimes huge!) and are
equally good as cookers or eaters. Also cox's orange pippin, russet,
bramley, Beauty of Bath, - - - I could go on.

I'll let someone else have a go at the pears - they may have improved
the keeping qualities since conference, Williams etc... (But they have
flavour and - sluuuuurp!

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 27-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Ch.
Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt writes
Hi,

I would like to plant some fruit trees such as plums, pears, apples, etc and
your suggestions would be welcome.

Any success with Cherries please?

Whereabouts in the country are you? Plums prefer the warmer drier SE to
the wetter NW for example.

How many trees have you room for?

What are your favourite fruits?

Do you plan to grow just for eating fresh, or do you want to be able to
freeze or otherwise preserve for the winter?

Do you want to grow the fruit you can get in the supermarket, but
cheaper, or di you want to grow things that aren't grown, or are
expensive' on a commercial scale - some of the lesser known varieties of
apples, things like medlars, mulberries and quince, for example?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 27-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

Thanks both of you. I live in Reading and it is quite warm.

Is there a nursery around Reading that sells fruit trees please?

I can visit them and get a good selection. We like cherries and have to buy
a net to cover them.

I am making a note of the trees suggested.

Rajinder

Kay Easton wrote in message
[...]

Any great plant sales in Chicago area? Newbie Gardening 31 07-11-2008 03:46 AM
plant sales Raleighgirl North Carolina 1 22-10-2005 04:40 PM
Plant Sales montuiiri United Kingdom 5 29-07-2005 03:44 PM
charity plant sales - plant licences? Victoria Clare United Kingdom 43 13-05-2005 06:38 PM
WMass Plant Sales GrampysGurl Gardening 0 05-05-2003 11:32 AM