Old 30-10-2008, 03:24 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

Default Any great plant sales in Chicago area?

Not for you apartment dwellers, but for those who are into gardening...

Leaving aside Chalet, Lurvy's, and Pesche's, which I have already
checked (and they do have some good deals), are there any great "end of
seasin" plant sales worth driving to that you know of? Up to 90 minute
drive from Chicago would be ok. Must have decent stock left to choose
from, and rock bottom clearance prices! Thanks.
Old 30-10-2008, 08:58 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

Newbie wrote:

Not for you apartment dwellers, but for those who are into gardening...

Leaving aside Chalet, Lurvy's, and Pesche's, which I have already
checked (and they do have some good deals), are there any great "end of
seasin" plant sales worth driving to that you know of? Up to 90 minute
drive from Chicago would be ok. Must have decent stock left to choose
from, and rock bottom clearance prices! Thanks.

Ask barb...I think she said she gets most of her stuff from those planters
on Michigan Avenue...

;-p

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Old 30-10-2008, 09:58 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 11:24�am, Newbie wrote:
Not for you apartment dwellers, but for those who are into gardening...

Leaving aside Chalet, Lurvy's, and Pesche's, which I have already
checked (and they do have some good deals), are there any great "end of
seasin" plant sales worth driving to that you know of? Up to 90 minute
drive from Chicago would be ok. Must have decent stock left to choose
from, and rock bottom clearance prices! Thanks.

It's a bit late for end of season plant sales in the Chicago area,
nurseries are already into balled and burlaped conifers for use use as
X-mas trees and then planted, after Xmas plant nurseries will close
until spring.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 AM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

YES!

Contact Wilson's nursery about a mile SW of Chicago. They have trees that
they will hand dig and prune all roots. More cost but much higher quality.
have a problem finding them, call me 610-864-5251.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 AM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 11:24?am, Newbie wrote:
Not for you apartment dwellers, but for those who are into gardening...

Leaving aside Chalet, Lurvy's, and Pesche's, which I have already
checked (and they do have some good deals), are there any great "end of
seasin" plant sales worth driving to that you know of? Up to 90 minute
drive from Chicago would be ok. Must have decent stock left to choose
from, and rock bottom clearance prices! Thanks.

It's a bit late for end of season plant sales in the Chicago area,
nurseries are already into balled and burlaped conifers for use use as
X-mas trees and then planted, after Xmas plant nurseries will close
until spring.

Not for digging and transplanting tree. As long as you can work you soil it
is OK to dig trees all winter.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article z,
barbie gee wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Gregory Morrow wrote:

Newbie wrote:

Not for you apartment dwellers, but for those who are into gardening...

Leaving aside Chalet, Lurvy's, and Pesche's, which I have already
checked (and they do have some good deals), are there any great "end of
seasin" plant sales worth driving to that you know of? Up to 90 minute
drive from Chicago would be ok. Must have decent stock left to choose
from, and rock bottom clearance prices! Thanks.

Ask barb...I think she said she gets most of her stuff from those planters
on Michigan Avenue...

;-p

hardee harr har.

oh, hey, who knows of any Japanese maples around town that have got seed
pods on them? I want to try my hand at growing some from seed.

that's gonna take a long time. Yer what 50+? You'll be into getting SS
checks by the time it's 4 feet tall.

Just drop the 100 bucks and get a six foot one already pruned.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

On Nov 1, 7:49�pm, "SYMPLASTLESS222" wrote:
YES!

Contact Wilson's nursery about a mile SW of Chicago. �They have trees that
they will hand dig and prune all roots. �More cost but much higher quality.

Were you dropped on your head at birth or are you naturally
retarded... no wonder you post such little factual plant info, you're
functionally illiterate.

The OP asked for "rock bottom clearance prices"... anytime a nursery
custom digs the price will be substantially higher than already dug
stock, especially in frozen ground. And of course some nurseries will
dig all winter, even if the ground is frozen, they have the excavating
equipment juat as major landscapers will plant all winter... but it
cost$$$$!

In colder climes (like Chicago) at this time of year nurseries have
already heeled in any plants worth saving, the rest are already in the
compost heap. All one will find for sale are those plants in the
greenhouses, and balled and burlapped conifers and those in pots that
are also heeled in awaiting Santa, but I promise those are not at
Charlie Brown bargain prices. I would advise folks not to purchase
potted conifers for indoor decorating thinking they will plant them
outdoors right after the holidays... they are a way over priced
gimmick, more than half will die, and those are sold with no
warranty. It's far wiser to buy larger conifers and plant them from
spring thru fall, and forget all about live conifers indoors, what a
stupid concept, pure marketing to those with more dollars than brain
cells.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article kenji-8884E0.09110702112008@localhost,
kenji wrote:

Newbie wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. I¹d not look for seeds but in the spring look for
seedlings. Transplant away from the mom maple . Looking about may
produce a surprise of a 3 or 4 year old. This gift usually away from
lawn mowers and cultivated beds. Chose on leaf and structure and be
ruthless. In five years +_3 a tree 2 or 5 feet may appear in your
nurture area.
We have about 10O about but we been doing this for 30 years.

Bill

PS Problem is what to do with anything over ten feet. Yet another
reason to like low growing spreading types. We love fine leaves and
full moon leaves.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article kenji-8884E0.09110702112008@localhost,
kenji wrote:

Newbie wrote:

[...]

Oops forgot to mention that planting a tree is for the future.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

On Nov 2, 9:11�am, kenji wrote:

Newbie wrote:

[...]

Very good advice. Most Japanese maples grow so slowly that before
they are 4' tall his kids will be collecting SS. Japanese maple is
one of those trees that the older it gets the more slowly it grows...
it can reach 2' within ten years but need another twenty years to grow
the next foot, and another thirty years to grow the next foot. So a
Japanese maple planted from seed can easily take sixty years to grow
4'. And to have one true to form you pretty much need to buy one
that's grafted. At my last residence my next door neighbor had
planted a 4' Japanese maple in his front yard when he first moved in,
he was an original owner and moved into a brand new house. He retired
and moved more than forty years later and his tree was only about 7-8
feet tall but nearly twice as wide, a very nice looking specimen
tree. I only lived there 15 years and hardly noticed that tree grew
at all. I don't recommend planting a Japanee maple seed and actually
expect a tree within ones life time. Even relatively fast growing
trees when planted as saplings will take a lifetime before they can
legitimately be called a tree... anyone wants fast growing plant grass
and vegetables.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article z,
barbie gee wrote:

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, kenji wrote:

Newbie wrote:

[...]

I don't want one that's 6 ft. I want one under 5' or so.

OK, I'll bite.

Why?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article z,
barbie gee wrote:

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, kenji wrote:

http://www.japanesemaples.com/

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

Sure

Trees properly dug, woody roots pruned, site prepared before digging tree
and tree not out of the ground for two hours and planted at depth woody
roots come off trunk, will cost more, but trees out of ground for extended
period, with crushed woody roots and planted too deep is a major waste of
money. We strive for top quality trees.
We also give a five year warranty on trees we plant and care for. Most
people give one year otherwise. Our Christmas tree looked good months after
Christmas but had a serious problem. To have organic trees, some special
care must be taken to reduce capacity for predisposition to insects and
other clean-up crew organisms by practices that place a tree in a
predisposition.
E.g., Trees out of ground too long, trees with crushed woody roots, planted
too deep, planted in wrong area are just the beginning of the list of
predisposition stimulators.
Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

We like to provide people with high quality trees. Anybody can dig a tree
and plop it in a hole. It takes a professional to do it correctly. I would
recommend spending a few dollars to have a safe, healthy and attractive tree
10 years down the road.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

In article ,
"SYMPLASTLESS222" wrote:

To have organic trees

the ****?

I'm not eating trees.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

"kenji" wrote in message
In article ,
"SYMPLASTLESS222" wrote:

To have organic trees

the [snip]?

I'm not eating trees.

No, but trees have associates. You do breath air and drink water.

How about healthy trees.