Old 27-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Mike1

Default What Weed 2

I have a similar problem with diagnosing a weed that has appeared in my
garden this Summer, but not that I can recall in previous years.

It has green jagged leaves and appears very quickly. In a small patch I
have seen five different clumps of these leaves.

If I dig one up, I see a single thin white root which I can never get to the
end of. This stuff has already started to appear in other parts of the
garden about 30ft away.

Recently I have started to use Roundup on the leaves and hope this will
eventually get down to the roots and source.

Any ideas whether it is bindweed or some other super weed ?

Mike.

Old 27-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mike1
writes
I have a similar problem with diagnosing a weed that has appeared in my
garden this Summer, but not that I can recall in previous years.

It has green jagged leaves and appears very quickly. In a small patch I
have seen five different clumps of these leaves.

If I dig one up, I see a single thin white root which I can never get to the
end of. This stuff has already started to appear in other parts of the
garden about 30ft away.

Recently I have started to use Roundup on the leaves and hope this will
eventually get down to the roots and source.

Any ideas whether it is bindweed or some other super weed ?

Certainly not bindweed which has smooth leaves. Possibly ragwort. It
would be easier to identify if you could put a pic up on a website
somewhere.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Laurie Moseley

The description is a bit thin, but it might be a wild parsnip, which has very
finely dissected leaves and internodes of 6-8 inches. This has turned up in our
garden from time to time, and I always dug it up. Then one came up in a quiet
corner and we didn't notice till it was full grown. It turns out to be a rather
dainty delicate-looking umbillifer, gets to about 2.5 feet in height, takes up
very little space, and is in flower now (late July). We now tend to keep it
wherever it pops up because it is a dainty, airy, plant which enhances the
border.

Janet
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf
Old 28-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Alison

"Mike1" wrote in message
I have a similar problem with diagnosing a weed that has appeared in my
garden this Summer, but not that I can recall in previous years.

It has green jagged leaves and appears very quickly. In a small patch I
have seen five different clumps of these leaves.

If I dig one up, I see a single thin white root which I can never get to

the
end of. This stuff has already started to appear in other parts of the
garden about 30ft away.

Recently I have started to use Roundup on the leaves and hope this will
eventually get down to the roots and source.

Any ideas whether it is bindweed or some other super weed ?

Mike.

Sounds horribly like coltsfoot to me - at least the desc is how I would
describe 'our' population. In the spring the little flowers come up without
leaves, like dandelion flowers but with a sort of 'sectioned' stem. Then
they do seeds just like dandelions. Then come the leaves which, if left to
grow, turn into dinner plate sized objects. Sort of ace-of-spades shaped
but with a jagged edge but not spiky. Dusky green in colour, slightly hairy
stem. Yes I know what you mean about the root and the tiniest bit will
re-root and rumble away for miles under and along the soil. I tried hard to
dig them out (being as organic as possible even though that sometimes does
your back in!) but they just came back worse. I resorted to painting on
Roundup and it did a wonderful job. IMHO it's on a par with ground elder -
horrible.

--Alison

Old 01-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Spider

Your weed sounds very much like Ground Elder (syn. Bishops Weed). The
botanical name is Aegopodium podagaria.
Have another look at your weed: does it have a compound leaf made up of 5
leaflets? Ground Elder definitely has endless white roots and a rapid rate
of spread. It is an umbellifer with a white summer flower.
RoundUp should certainly help, as would any herbicide with Glyphosate in it.
Digging up the root very thoroughly will slow it down, making herbicide
application easier and less expensive. However, if it is coming in from a
neighbour's garden, you may have to learn to live with some of it!
SPIDER