Old 02-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Peter Hemmings

Default Boltonia Asteroides?

I bought the above (rather tall plant) from a garden that was open to
the public last week and cannot find information in any of my books!
Can someone let me have details/point me to the info so I can plant it
in the right place!?
Thanks
--
Peter Hemmings
Old 03-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Peter Hemmings
writes
I bought the above (rather tall plant) from a garden that was open to
the public last week and cannot find information in any of my books!
Can someone let me have details/point me to the info so I can plant it
in the right place!?
Thanks

It's a tall (gets to about 5ft, maybe a little more) aster type plant,
lots of tiny white flowers in late summer/autumn. Best at the back of a
border, ordinary soil, nice to pick. Common name North American Daisy -
reliable hardy perennial.
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site
Old 04-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Spider

Boltonia asteroides is in the compositae family. It grows to 5ft by 2ft and
may need staking. Any garden soil, must have sun, but does not like to dry
out. It is advisable to divide every 2 years to keep it young and
vigorous.

If you're not afraid of tall plants, the violet boltonia (actually
pinkish-purple) makes 8ft by 2ft. It is called Boltonia latisquama.

Which garden were you visiting, please? I'd love to see (acquire) this
plant.

Spider

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Peter Hemmings

Thanks Rachel and Spider for the information.
For Spider, the garden we visited last week was in the "Somerset yellow
book" details as follows:
Vellacott, Lawford, Crowcombe (9 miles NW Taunton).
Private visits by appointment, Kevin and Pat Chittenden (telephone 01984
618249)
A very nice garden with lots of unusual plants and beautiful views of
the Quantocks.
--
Peter Hemmings

Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Spider

Thanks for the garden details, Peter. It's a long way from me, but I must
try and fit it in with a round of garden visits in that area.