Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Birmingham, UK
Default Mystery city vine...

Hi folks!

I've been trying to identify some common city weeds in Birmingham, which I find very attractive, but are a royal pain in the jacksy to get rid of. So far I have done wonders with the help of my super-RHS dad, but even he has had problems with a few.

Some of our successes have been Green Alkanet ("it looks like a cross between a forget-me-not and borage" - prize went to the internet geek) and crow's-foot geranium (prize went to the gnome / dad).

This one, however has me stuck. It has beautiful lace and pale yellow flowers, no wider then 10mm, leaves are approx 60mm wide, and it attaches itself to our privet hedge & potatoes by fine tendrills. In July / August it started to produce bright pillar-box berries, each with a single seed (as far as I could tell).

Here (should be attached) is a picture.

Much hopefulness & positive vibes

The Gardening Gibbon
Attached Thumbnails