Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
John McGaw

Default Help Identify a Rampant Mystery Vine?

I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

Appreciate any help you might offer.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 AM
zxcvbob

John McGaw wrote:

I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

Appreciate any help you might offer.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Are you sure it's not English Ivy? The leaves change shape when the plant
matures; I've seen it before but I don't remember what the adult form looks
like. The normal "ivy shape" is the juvenile form.

Could it be poison ivy? (I've been away from the South too long; I can't
believe I can't remember this stuff.) No..., I think it's just adult
English ivy.

Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 AM
John McGaw

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

John McGaw wrote:

[...]

Definitely not English ivy. I've got that spread over at least 1/4 acre of
my property and in every stage of growth from the newest sprout to the most
senior citizen and none of them look anything like this. Besides the shape
being different the size of the leaves is different with these being 1/3 or
less the length of an ivy leaf. Doesn't appear to be any form of poison ivy
either -- the leaves of that plant are quite variable in shape but are
nothing like this. I had to re-learn poison ivy after many years living in
Alaska but I've got plenty of that growing in the back woods to remind me.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 AM
jammer

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:36:20 -0500, "John McGaw"
wrote:

I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

It looks like poison ivy to me......

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
John McGaw

Looking at the pictures of poison ivy at
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/img/pictures/pi/index.php still leads me to day
that this isn't it. Particularly the one showing PI growing among Vinca
where the size and color differences really show up. The leaves of my
mystery vine are very similar in size and color to Vinca. I'll go out and
study it a bit more in the morning but I'm sure that the "leaves of three"
don't hold true for my mystery vine either.

Old 03-04-2003, 04:08 AM
jammer

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 21:09:41 -0500, "John McGaw"
wrote:

Looking at the pictures of poison ivy at
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/img/pictures/pi/index.php still leads me to day
that this isn't it. Particularly the one showing PI growing among Vinca
where the size and color differences really show up. The leaves of my
mystery vine are very similar in size and color to Vinca. I'll go out and
study it a bit more in the morning but I'm sure that the "leaves of three"
don't hold true for my mystery vine either.

Well.........grab a branch and rub the stuff all over you. Maybe it
isn't but my guess is that it is. If not, it looks painfully similiar.
I don't react to the stuff so others ask me to do thier dirty work.
http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/climbs1.htm

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-04-2003, 05:20 AM
JNJ

I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this

spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother

the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

I have it growing along fence lines and trees here as well. It's not poison
ivy. Offhand I'd say Wintercreeper Euonymous Fortunei. It's actually
pretty invasive.

James

Old 03-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

John McGaw said:

I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

I agree with JNJ.

It looks like Euonymous Fortunei (winter creeper). Native to Asia.
"Trailing evergreen that can climb 40 feet or more on a rough
surface by means of stem rootlets. Extremely variable" says
my garden encyclopedia. It's listed in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's
book _Invasive Plants: Weeds of the Global Garden_.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
John McGaw

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
I've got this vine which has starting getting out of hand in my yard. Last
year I saw a few stray strands of it growing among the Vinca but this

spring
it seems to have taken off and looks like it might overtake and smother

the
English Ivy in the woods! A picture and description appears at
http://johnmcgaw.com/mystery%20vine.html

Appreciate any help you might offer.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Thanks to Pat and JNJ. Using your information I did some searching online
for this particular plant and found that many of the leaves illustrated
didn't match very well. Then I hit upon
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol.../efortunei.htm in which the
leaf picture could well have been taken in my own yard. Guess I'll have to
figure out now what to do with them -- do I let them run wild, transplant
some and kill (or attempt to kill) the rest, or just attack them all. It is
actually a rather pretty plant but too much of a good thing is not so good.
Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
JNJ

Thanks to Pat and JNJ. Using your information I did some searching online
for this particular plant and found that many of the leaves illustrated
didn't match very well. Then I hit upon
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol.../efortunei.htm in which

the
leaf picture could well have been taken in my own yard.

I had to do some looking as well -- yours is slightly different from mine
but pretty close.

Guess I'll have to figure out now what to do with them -- do I let them

run wild,
transplant some and kill (or attempt to kill) the rest, or just attack

them all. It is
actually a rather pretty plant but too much of a good thing is not so

good.

Like I said, this one can get invasive so caveat emptor. Here it just
appeared out of nowhere a couple of years back and it's now everywhere. The
trees do not seem to mind very much and it does look nice in the fence IMHO
but the jury's still out.

James