Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Kay Easton

Default Weeding a lawn

In article , PJ
writes
Hi

My new lawn is looking very good. I put the seeds down myself in September
having prepared the ground beforehand very thoroughly last summer.

I am mowing it regularly and this does indeed keep the weeds at bay very well
indeed. It's also getting a lot of water in this very dry period.

I do have a few dandelions and I'm wondering what is the best way of removing
them? I am a newbie at gardening completely so forgive me if my question has
a very obvious answer.

If I dig them up doesn't this leave a hole in the lawn? I understand the lawn
will fill the hole in after a while, but is there a technique to digging them
out leaving just a very small hole? or something...

Try an old kitchen knife.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
PJ

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 8:22:19 +0100, Kay Easton wrote
(in message ):

Try an old kitchen knife.

I will try this.

In a garden centre I saw a long thin trowel the other day. Is that trowel
intended for removing weeds from lawns do you think?

The kitchen knife might be better, and it has the flavour of Norman Bates
about it

--
Patrick

Old 08-08-2003, 08:14 PM
hugh

In message , PJ
writes
Hi

My new lawn is looking very good. I put the seeds down myself in September
having prepared the ground beforehand very thoroughly last summer.

I am mowing it regularly and this does indeed keep the weeds at bay very well
indeed. It's also getting a lot of water in this very dry period.

I do have a few dandelions and I'm wondering what is the best way of removing
them? I am a newbie at gardening completely so forgive me if my question has
a very obvious answer.

If I dig them up doesn't this leave a hole in the lawn? I understand the lawn
will fill the hole in after a while, but is there a technique to digging them
out leaving just a very small hole? or something...

If your not averse to chemicals use something like Verdone spot weed
killer
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
PJ

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:44:19 +0100, hugh wrote
(in message ):

If your not averse to chemicals use something like Verdone spot weed
killer

I don't know if I am adverse to chemicals actually. I'm going to try
non-chemical means first and if the results are good I'll stick with
non-chemicals.

As I am very new to this I think I'll try organic methods first and if I run
into a lot of work/hassle I'll try a chemical.

In April I used EverGreen Lawn Food liquid on the lawn and I wonder if that
is a non-organic activity? I guess it must be as the "food" is a chemical...

--
Patrick

Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"PJ" wrote in message
. com...
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:44:19 +0100, hugh wrote
(in message ):

If your not averse to chemicals use something like Verdone spot weed
killer

I don't know if I am adverse to chemicals actually. I'm going to try
non-chemical means first and if the results are good I'll stick with
non-chemicals.

As I am very new to this I think I'll try organic methods first and if I

run
into a lot of work/hassle I'll try a chemical.

In April I used EverGreen Lawn Food liquid on the lawn and I wonder if

that
is a non-organic activity? I guess it must be as the "food" is a

chemical...

Plants can only take in fairly simple inorganic chemicals. Any organic
substances like horse manure and compost have to be broken up into
*inorganic* chemicals before the roots can make use of them.

To the best of my knowledge, the main reasons why feeding inorganic
chemicals is to be frowned upon is that farmers and gardeners usually put
vastly too much of them in the soil, and that they do not all provide the
minor elements which the plants need

To forestall criticism, please note that I am talking about feeding plants,
and not about improving the soil on a long term basis.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Yamxs850

After many years ,getting older and lazier now, I buy a selective weedkiller
the cocentrated variety and use an old window cleaner bottle or any bottle with
a spray action.I make up the solution in the bottle and spot spray the weeds,it
lasts for ages and usually only have to buy every 3 years or so.
remove niljunk to send e-mail.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Alan Holmes

"PJ" wrote in message
. com...
Hi

My new lawn is looking very good. I put the seeds down myself in September
having prepared the ground beforehand very thoroughly last summer.

I am mowing it regularly and this does indeed keep the weeds at bay very

well
indeed. It's also getting a lot of water in this very dry period.

I do have a few dandelions and I'm wondering what is the best way of

removing
them? I am a newbie at gardening completely so forgive me if my question

has
a very obvious answer.

Verdone is a very good lawn weedkiller.

Alan

If I dig them up doesn't this leave a hole in the lawn? I understand the

lawn
will fill the hole in after a while, but is there a technique to digging

them
out leaving just a very small hole? or something...

--
Patrick

Lawn weeding questions tenplay Gardening 13 06-09-2004 09:18 PM
Weeding a lawn PJ United Kingdom 15 17-08-2003 07:42 PM
Help with pre weeding new lawn Niel A. Farrow United Kingdom 5 12-05-2003 03:08 PM
Newbie Weeding question DDEckerslyke United Kingdom 16 27-04-2003 08:21 PM
Chemical weeding arround young trees John Towill United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 09:15 PM