Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
miklol

Default green on tomatoes

I have a very good crop of tomatoes (especially tumblers) but they are
ripening with some green on the tops, round the stems.
Is there anything I can do about it, apart from leaving them till they are
over-ripe and is it ok to eat all of the tomato?

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
anne

miklol wrote in message
I have a very good crop of tomatoes (especially tumblers) but they are
ripening with some green on the tops, round the stems.
Is there anything I can do about it, apart from leaving them till they are
over-ripe and is it ok to eat all of the tomato?

Might be "greenback" but I'm definitely no expert. It's the first time I've
grown tomatoes myself this year and they are very poor. The majority are
funny shapes, with little outgrowths etc - some look quite "rude" actually!
Most tomato problems seem to be caused by watering incorrectly though or
being too hot.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

Glad I am not the only one having problems with tomatoes. Our problem is
blossom end rot. We had a similar problem last year on the first few
tomatoes but then everything seemed to settle down. This year every one that
has ripened as the rot. At least I have been able to cut the bad bit out and
make lots of tomato soup.

I know the problem of blossom end rot is supposed to be caused by erratic
watering but our tomatoes are watered religiously every morning - and during
the very hot weather they have been watered late afternoon as well. Does
anyone have a solution? Would we be better having a continuous drip watering
system by hosepipes laid across the growbags? The problem, as I see it, with
that system is the feeding of the plants. A friend of ours put the feed in
the water barrel which was used to drip feed but I am not sure they should
have feed all the time?

Hope someone can come up with an answer

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Charlie

We had a problem with out toms in pots, I think they kept dryuing out during
the day. We stood them in a tray of water so they didn't dry out.

Charlie.