Old 14-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Old hose: harmful compounds?

My hosepipe -- presumably reinforced pvc -- has been around for a long
time, and I've just noticed that when I use it to fill a watering-can
the first couple of gallons are very frothy. At first I thought it was
traces of the washing-up liquid I sometimes use a drop of as a wetting
agent, but it's definitely the hose itself.

Question for the scientists: I assume I'm seeing products of the
breakdown of the material, so are they likely to be harmful to plants,
life, the planet, and everything?

Mike.
Old 15-08-2003, 12:04 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
My hosepipe -- presumably reinforced pvc -- has been around for a long
time, and I've just noticed that when I use it to fill a watering-can
the first couple of gallons are very frothy. At first I thought it was
traces of the washing-up liquid I sometimes use a drop of as a wetting
agent, but it's definitely the hose itself.

Question for the scientists: I assume I'm seeing products of the
breakdown of the material, so are they likely to be harmful to plants,
life, the planet, and everything?

Mike.

I have noticed this with new hoses as well.
I suspect that it is just the first rush of water mixing with the air in the
pipe to give you naturally carbonated spring water.
Seems to happen more in the hot weather, so it could even be air disolved in
mains water bubbling out as it goes through a hot hose.
Run a glass full of cold tap water and leave it to warm, and you often see
bubbles form on the inside of the glass - presumably gasses coming out of
solution as the water warms.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 15-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

No, I don't think it's that: I get my water from a private bore-hole,
and it does have a lot of dissolved gas. This is different: a real
dense froth, which didn't happen when the hosepipe was new.

Mike.
Old 15-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Mike Hunter

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think it might be the plasticiser from the PVC leaching into water in the
hose. It's certainly much worse in this hot weather. Does your water smell
bad ? - mine does.

I spray a patch of lawn or something unimportant until the water runs cool
and clear. However harmless the froth might be, I don't want it on my
peppers or tomatoes.

Mike

Old 16-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Mike Lyle

"Mike Hunter" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Certainly the first thing I thought of was the plasticiser dropping
out. I do the same with my first pipeful.

Mike.