Old 16-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Pat York

Default Foxgloves

Hi All

Is it too late to sow foxgloves for flowering next year? I have some
seeds approaching their use by date (Unwins Excelsior Mixed). Guess I
could try sowing indoors and over-wintering in a cold frame/greenhouse.

Pat

Old 16-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:55:00 +0100, Pat York
wrote:

Is it too late to sow foxgloves for flowering next year? I have some
seeds approaching their use by date (Unwins Excelsior Mixed). Guess I
could try sowing indoors and over-wintering in a cold frame/greenhouse.

I would try some out and some in. If you think about it, foxgloves
have only just finished flowering ( at least in my garden) and will
naturally still be shedding their seeds by the thousand!

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pat York" wrote in message
Hi All

Is it too late to sow foxgloves for flowering next year? I have some
seeds approaching their use by date (Unwins Excelsior Mixed). Guess I
could try sowing indoors and over-wintering in a cold frame/greenhouse.

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone who wants to grow
foxgloves in a lawn. {:-))

Franz

Old 17-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Is it too late to sow foxgloves for flowering next year? I have some
seeds approaching their use by date (Unwins Excelsior Mixed). Guess I
could try sowing indoors and over-wintering in a cold frame/greenhouse.

I would try some out and some in. If you think about it, foxgloves
have only just finished flowering ( at least in my garden) and will
naturally still be shedding their seeds by the thousand!

Yes, but those seeds will give rise to plants next year which will
flower the year after. So I'd have thought that planting seeds now you'd
be very lucky indeed to get flowers next year, you'd more likely be
getting flowers in 2005. Still, the sooner they are sown, the sooner
you'll get flowers, and sowing them now is probably preferable to
leaving them in the packet till next spring.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Foxgloves question GrampysGurl Gardening 1 02-05-2003 11:44 PM
foxgloves Jessi United Kingdom 10 01-05-2003 11:56 PM
foxgloves again animaux Gardening 0 30-04-2003 12:08 AM
foxgloves Jessica Gardening 6 15-04-2003 07:44 PM
foxgloves, another question Jessica Gardening 0 08-04-2003 10:08 PM