Old 16-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Worm compost

Please comment on the following musings:

Make a wooden frame about 18" square and cover one open side with black
polythene, so that when inverted on the ground, you have a small darkroom.
Lightly till a piece of soil in the garden bed with a handfork. Make it
just the size of the darkroom.
Put about half a pound of compost worms in this space.
Tip today's kitchen waste over them.
Cover with the darkroom to protect the worms from the birds and the sun.
Repeat daily somewhere else.
If you are lucky, you might be able to build up a dense enough worm
population to enable you to cease inoculating the ground with worms after a
time, and to just put out your kitchen scraps out under a dark protective
cover.
Or am I behind the times, as usual?.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Jim W

Franz Heymann wrote:

Please comment on the following musings:

Make a wooden frame about 18" square and cover one open side with black
polythene, so that when inverted on the ground, you have a small darkroom.
Lightly till a piece of soil in the garden bed with a handfork. Make it
just the size of the darkroom.
Put about half a pound of compost worms in this space.
Tip today's kitchen waste over them.
Cover with the darkroom to protect the worms from the birds and the sun.
Repeat daily somewhere else.
If you are lucky, you might be able to build up a dense enough worm
population to enable you to cease inoculating the ground with worms after a
time, and to just put out your kitchen scraps out under a dark protective
cover.
Or am I behind the times, as usual?.

Assuming you have an unlimited supply of worms that is.. I don't think
you'd be able to stop them retreating into the soil? Thus you would lose
worms each night?
half a pound of worms, thats.. 14 pounds a month.. in weight.. thats a
lotta worms!

If you are thinking of 'worm compost' as in 'worm bins' then these are
not earthworms but closer to manure worms (the red ones). These are
Dendrabaena species.

I think you are being optimistic that a days waste will dissapear
completly overenight.

We have a commercial Worm bin that we found on a skip (I believe the
original purchasers threw it out as they weren't managing it properly)
It works fine here but the main thing is keeping the conditions OK for
the worms.. Luckily we have ideal places, the shade of a mature Birch in
high summer and a frost free GH in winter.. The compost is a fine rich
worm manure.. I really ought to take some pictures!-)

There are however a variety of plans to make your own bins froma
converted plastic dustbin to a wooden insulated bin.. Take a look at
the HDRA's site www.HDRA.org.uk or just search online for Worm Bin Plans

Just my 2p's worth!
//
Jim
Old 16-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:42:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Please comment on the following musings:

Make a wooden frame about 18" square and cover one open side with black
polythene, so that when inverted on the ground, you have a small darkroom.
Lightly till a piece of soil in the garden bed with a handfork. Make it
just the size of the darkroom.
Put about half a pound of compost worms in this space.
Tip today's kitchen waste over them.
Cover with the darkroom to protect the worms from the birds and the sun.
Repeat daily somewhere else.
If you are lucky, you might be able to build up a dense enough worm
population to enable you to cease inoculating the ground with worms after a
time, and to just put out your kitchen scraps out under a dark protective
cover.
Or am I behind the times, as usual?.

If the object to this exercise is to build up a significant population
of 'compost worms' ( Brandling worms ) then I'm not sure how
successful it will be.
Brandling worms thrive in a specific environment ( i.e. plenty on
non-rotted organic material ). Once the rotting down process is
complete they either move on or die.
I currently have two worm compost bins on the go - one is active, and
full of icky vegetable matter and thousands of worm, the other is full
of completed compost with barely a worm in sight.

I suspect the soil in the garden contains a small number of Brandling
worms per square foot - and is relative to the amount of fresh
compostable material available.
So in theory your scheme could work, but it would mean having to
maintain the level of fresh organic matter - which would perhaps
render the soil unsuitable for general cropping.

Surely it would be far less hassle to maintain one bin as a nursery
for your worms - all you'd need to do inoculate another bin would be
to grab a handful of gloop from the nursery bin and chuck it in.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 16-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Surely not, if I move my worm hostel by a foot or so each day, like my
friend used to do with his guineapig lawn maintenance system.

Surely it would be far less hassle to maintain one bin as a nursery
for your worms - all you'd need to do inoculate another bin would be
to grab a handful of gloop from the nursery bin and chuck it in.

Being a lazy sort of bloke, it is all that bin maintenance and harvesting
which I am trying to avoid.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzs5io.bdvegm1m78xzcN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

If I were a worm, I would congregate with my pals where the food is.

Thus you would lose
worms each night?

The worm is only lost when it dies. Until then it eats and converts raw
rotting stuff into compost.

half a pound of worms, thats.. 14 pounds a month.. in weight.. thats a
lotta worms!

Yes. I am talking about building up a very dense worm population in the
soil.

If you are thinking of 'worm compost' as in 'worm bins' then these are
not earthworms but closer to manure worms (the red ones). These are
Dendrabaena species.

I am thinking of any earthworm species which will eat rotting kitchen scraps
ravenously.

I think you are being optimistic that a days waste will dissapear
completly overenight.

If the worms don't cope daily with the daily kitchen waste, there will be an
ever increasing heap of rotting, unconsumed kitchen scraps building up in
the compost heap as well.

We have a commercial Worm bin that we found on a skip (I believe the
original purchasers threw it out as they weren't managing it properly)
It works fine here but the main thing is keeping the conditions OK for
the worms.. Luckily we have ideal places, the shade of a mature Birch in
high summer and a frost free GH in winter.. The compost is a fine rich
worm manure.. I really ought to take some pictures!-)

What weight of plant material can you convert per day?
Do your worms cope with weeds?
Do they cope with leaves?

There are however a variety of plans to make your own bins froma
converted plastic dustbin to a wooden insulated bin.. Take a look at
the HDRA's site www.HDRA.org.uk or just search online for Worm Bin Plans

Just my 2p's worth!

Thanks for an interesting note. But my whole point is to try and find a way
of circumventing the maintaining and harvesting of a wormery by just letting
the worms do their job in the exact spot where I ultimately want the compost
to be.

I was told that the brandlings sold by fishing tackle skops would be just
what I need. Is that correct?

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 09:02 PM
bnd777

wrote:

[...]

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much for

you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Old 16-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination. I garden to the best of my
meagre abilities because I have loved gardening for close on seventy years.

Franz

Old 16-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Jim W

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

Franz, I'll work through your questions/points in reverse order!

Brandlings are used in worm bins, but are not earthworms. They live in
manure, not in soil. Our worms cope with all the usual things that this
species cope with. Most of what you mention. Leaves, annual weeds, and
vegetable waste. The only things we tend to avoid are meat and cooked
food as well as an excess of citrus peel. there are 3 of us (sometimes
4) producing a fair bit of waste. Not all of it goes into the worm bin,
we have a conventional compost bin as well.

I do see your point but its away from the norm so I think you will get a
lot of people telling you about 'ordinary' worm bins. Maintaining. A
wormery is not arduous, other than remembering where to put your
vegetable waste and emptying the wormery every so often (about once a
year in our case)
Earthworms are other species all together and like a different
environment from brandlings. You would not innoculate the ground with
brandlings. You would need to buy earthworms for this. In which case
they would live in the ground. In which case they would not necessarily
be in the area of you're choice.

Your thinking is correct in 2 'seperate' points in that Brandlings will
break down raw waste and increasing earthworms count can be helped by
improving soil structure, but whether you're idea will work as you
describe it and in combinaion I am doubtful. Try it mebbe!-)

However the brandling worms aren't the 'worms in the soil' so if you're
brandlings don't eat quick enough the secondary stage may not be as
effective either.

If your compost is 'building up' that fast you either need another heap
or you're not manageing the heap correctly. A correctly made 1 m3 heap
uses up its oxygen approx every 7 - 10 days and if turned at that
frequency it is possible to produce compost in under 10 weeks in summer.

The other things I would be worried about with your idea are rats and
any 'uneaten' food being left behind.

Its certainly an interesting idea.. Why not give it a try and let us
know the results.. Both types of worm are availble by mail order.
Dendrbaena worms are available also from fishing shops (as bait)

//
Jim
Old 16-08-2003, 09:54 PM
martin

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:19:26 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much for

you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination.

He also has a crap memory, perhaps he is prematurely old too? :-)
It's can't be more than a couple of days at the most since you
mentioned that you had been gardening for 70 years.

--
Martin
Old 17-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much

for
you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination.

He also has a crap memory, perhaps he is prematurely old too? :-)
It's can't be more than a couple of days at the most since you
mentioned that you had been gardening for 70 years.

Sorry to have been a bore. I will do better next time. {:-))

Franz

Old 17-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fzsxn3.13kfdz9s49o1uN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information, Jim. If I knew where to get the earthworms, I
will order some. Or maybe there are enough in my garden for starting things
up. I will do a bit of investigating.

Franz

Old 17-08-2003, 08:42 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:24:29 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much

for
you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination.

He also has a crap memory, perhaps he is prematurely old too? :-)
It's can't be more than a couple of days at the most since you
mentioned that you had been gardening for 70 years.

Sorry to have been a bore. I will do better next time. {:-))

You are not boring :-)
--
Martin
Old 17-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Ophelia

wrote:

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much

for
you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination.

He also has a crap memory, perhaps he is prematurely old too? :-)
It's can't be more than a couple of days at the most since you
mentioned that you had been gardening for 70 years.

martin shame on you.

Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:21:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You really must be lazy if the maintenance of a worm bin is too much

for
you ........cant imagine why you even have a garden at all

Yes I am indeed lazy. My laziness is caused by the general decrepitude
associated with having lived for as near as dammit eighty years.
You are singularly lacking in imagination.

He also has a crap memory, perhaps he is prematurely old too? :-)
It's can't be more than a couple of days at the most since you
mentioned that you had been gardening for 70 years.

martin shame on you.

Mea culpa! I am not so young myself, but did remember being impressed
by Franz's age.
--
Martin