Old 18-08-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Brown blotches on Sambucus nigra Black Beauty leaves.

Hi,

I've got a Sambucus nigra Black Beauty that was planted in May 2002 and
had been doing really well. Today I noticed there were brown blotches on
quite a lot of the leaves, especially lower down to one side. I'm pretty
sure it was OK a few days ago, I did water it late at night recently
though. There is a picture of an affected leaf he

http://inputplus.co.uk/ellen/3498-100.jpg (47KB)

Can anyone advise what the cause is?

Many thanks, Ellen.

Old 25-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Chris Stewart

wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a Sambucus nigra Black Beauty that was planted in May 2002 and
had been doing really well. Today I noticed there were brown blotches on
quite a lot of the leaves, especially lower down to one side. I'm pretty
sure it was OK a few days ago, I did water it late at night recently
though. There is a picture of an affected leaf he

http://inputplus.co.uk/ellen/3498-100.jpg (47KB)

Can anyone advise what the cause is?

Many thanks, Ellen.

Hi Ellen - was it v sunny the following morning - after you watered it?? It
could be burning due to the magnification effect of the water droplets? I'll
bet it will be fine next year - it's a handsome bush - beautiful flowers.
Chris

Old 28-08-2003, 05:32 PM

Thanks Chris,

Hi Ellen - was it v sunny the following morning - after you watered it??
It could be burning due to the magnification effect of the water droplets?
I'll bet it will be fine next year - it's a handsome bush - beautiful
flowers.

Ah, you have a good point there, I think it probably was sunny the
following morning and the worst affected side of the shrub was both where
I was doing most of the watering and where the morning sun would have hit.

However I am still puzzled as the other side of the shrub, where I did
some watering, was affected too, although not as much. This side would
not have had sun till later on.

I wondered if some parts of the leaves got burnt due to the chilling
effect of the water droplets evaporating.

Ellen.
Old 28-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Chris Stewart

wrote in message
Thanks Chris,

Hi Ellen - was it v sunny the following morning - after you watered it??
It could be burning due to the magnification effect of the water

droplets?
I'll bet it will be fine next year - it's a handsome bush - beautiful
flowers.

Ah, you have a good point there, I think it probably was sunny the
following morning and the worst affected side of the shrub was both where
I was doing most of the watering and where the morning sun would have hit.

However I am still puzzled as the other side of the shrub, where I did
some watering, was affected too, although not as much. This side would
not have had sun till later on.

I wondered if some parts of the leaves got burnt due to the chilling
effect of the water droplets evaporating.

Ellen.

Could be - could be chicken pox :-)

Old 31-08-2003, 11:22 AM
keith

Hi Ellen- i might be telling you how to suck eggs,but only water at the
roots this will save you water & make sure the water gets to the plant,also
preventing problems like youve had.Or move the plant were it wont catch the
morning sun.
Happy gardening keith
"Chris Stewart" wrote in message

Thanks Chris,