Old 21-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Pen Phill

Default ?Seeds from Surfinias

Hi all

Surfinias over here in France are extremely popular but I have never come
across seeds for them in packets. Plenty of Petunia and Petunia Pendulant seeds
which I always grow, but no Petunia Surfinia seeds. It seems you can only buy
the plant ready to pot and I buy and plant like everybody else but this year
have decided to collect the seeds. Will these be fertile and if so will they
produce the same colour flowers?

Also, we have an insect which rather resembles a large moth/bee that hovers
like a humming bird darts about visiting almost every bloom and sucks nectar
with a long probosis. It has a light brown furry body with white and black
areas near the tail end and about 1 1/2" long. Hums quite loudly as it flies.
Does anybody know its name please? TIA

Phil
Old 22-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
[...]

Phil,

I too am in France. The insect you have seen is the Humming Bird Hawk
Moth and we have had so many this year, more than ever before. Today
there have been a lot amongst the phlox.

Someone can correct me, but I am pretty sure that you cannot grow
Surfinias from seed.

Iris McCanna

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Pen Phill

Subject: ?Seeds from Surfinias
From: "Barry & Iris McCanna"
Date: 21/08/03 20:51 Romance Daylight Time

"Pen Phill" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Iris

I have asked quite a few of my French friends what the insect was but none of
them seemed to know! You are right, there are lots of them about this year and
indeed of butterflies as well. Must be the "canicule" Re the Surfinia seeds, I
shall give them a try anyway next year. I just wondered if anyone knew.

Phil

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Michael Berridge

Pen Phill wrote in message
Hi all

Surfinias over here in France are extremely popular but I have never

come
across seeds for them in packets. Plenty of Petunia and Petunia

Pendulant seeds
which I always grow, but no Petunia Surfinia seeds. It seems you can

only buy
the plant ready to pot and I buy and plant like everybody else but this

year
have decided to collect the seeds. Will these be fertile and if so will

they
produce the same colour flowers?

I believe that surfinas are micropropogated, and are themselves sterile.
They will certainly grow from cuttings, but AFAIK they are protected by
Plant Breeders Rights so they cannot be sold for profit.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Pen Phill